Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Extreme Lean Angle > Track Days
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Trackday Report...mech. issues as usual & Bump to Blue!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
Bster13
Short Shifter

Default Trackday Report...mech. issues as usual & Bump to Blue!

Started the morning helping the Teampromotion Staff setup their trailer then went to tech. in. I failed tech because of a sticking throttle. Used exacto knife, dremel, wd-40, and chain lube to somewhat resolve the issue....always something to work on with Bryce's track bike. :p

Once I got that sorted I spent the first three sessions of the day complaining about stiff suspension, sore hands/wrists and wondering if all this suspension work was worth a damn and if I was going to crash that day. I know, not positive thoughts, but it did cross my minds as Pocono East is very bumpy and certain corners had my front tire skipping towards the outside of turns...very scary.

As the day went on I learned that the bike wasn't my problem (as usual), it was me. I was holding on to the bars way too tight, putting too much steering input into them, and using my arms too much to hang off the bike and get back on. Once I focused on that the track magically smoothed out, weird, huh? :p

In the afternoon I ran a a 1:16.98:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5...6/IMG_0040.jpg

I was psyched!!!

Then it came, three sessions from the end of the day the Intermediate group had started to thin out a bit and we got some open track. I found myself alone with a coach ('Mel' on a GSXR1000) in front of me. He didn't know I was there and being along he had some 'play' time to wick it up a bit. (I'm sure he can go faster folks, but he was moving at a good clip) I started to gain on him little by little til finally coming on to the back straightaway (turn 4) I showed him a wheel getting up high on the banking...he did a double take, then waved me by to check me out. Finished the rest of the session and he was waiting for me. There's always that thought u're in trouble when I coach stops you at pit-out and makes u pull over, but it was all good. He was ecstatic! Said I was doing great and said that I could go to blue, but first to check me out for one more session and to ask the other coaches. I gave him Kevin Sullivan and John Stevens for reference as they've worked with me in the past. Ran the next session same as usual and I got bumped to Blue (advanced) Group!!!! I was happy as hell but scared as sh_t all at once. Blue is no joke...inside passing. :o Big thanks to Mell...great attitude and always welcomed to come check me out.

First session in blue group was quite a shocker. I managed to find another SV650 to follow around, pitted right behind him.

he was wear Dunlop D208GPs (F_ck Dunlop! :p). Out we went and holy crap I'm thinking to myself "these guys in Blue group are no joke, and it's only the first lap!" but reality would strike on turn three on the warm-up lap. The guy was flying...on his butt. He lowsided due to cold tires. NOT a good way to break me into Blue group...crashing right in front of me. So I proceeded to run off the back straight into the NASCAR banking and go off-roading as well, but did not go down. I was sh_tting my pants with all the adrenaline, didn't help that all of Hooligang was sitting off turn 1 in support of me. :p But I really appreciate everyone coming out to watch, that was WAY cool. Sorry to disappoint haha.

After I got the jitters out, I went out in Blue again for the final session of the day. I stalked a green Kawasaki ZX-10R (I think) THE ENTIRE SESSION, to finally pass him on the 2nd to last lap. That's how hard it is to make a pass in Blue group...least for me hehe. The inside passing didn't both me as much as I thought. No one out braked me off the back straight into turn 5...I think that's because all day I had been working VERY hard on braking there to make up the Horsepower advantage that the other bikes have over me down the back straight. And it worked! Didn't get out braked there once! But people did go inside me in the bus stop (hair pin turn)....I guess that's a favorite place for Blue group riders to pass. All in all I held me own, a couple people passed me, and I stuck in there. I really enjoyed it. Best of all I didn't crash and I did my best lap time of the day that last session when I was tired! A 1:16.88. I was stoked!

Here are my photos from the day:

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b5...noEast_5_7_06/

Short video of me on turn 1 in Blue group:

http://media.putfile.com/Bryce-in-Advanced-Group

Not bad considering I got roughed up the day b4 on the rugby pitch and i Was riding frankenbike all day. hehe.

Kudos for Mike for the bump to Red as well as Marc. Now Peter, Jimmy, and the Ryan brothers will have two new guys to dice it up with!

Props to Rick for running 18s all day in the afternoon....he could be in Blue if he wanted to and he knows it ya bastard! :p

Nice to see George, Bobby & Robin, Gina and Renee come out to share in the fun. Great photos George!

I really enjoyed the company yesterday. U guys rocked. Sharing food, tools, parts, stories, and laughs. Made my day and even more beautiful one. (awww, group hug. :p)

Bryce

Old 05-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13
VIR North at 1/4 to 4 in the mornin, runnin 1:16's...not bad

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Bster13
Short Shifter

haha, yeah good looking....forgot to swtich the track on my timer..DOh! :p

Old 05-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
haha, yeah good looking....forgot to swtich the track on my timer..DOh! :p
Seriously though, big ups on the bump to blue...buncha crazy bastids I tell ya

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

congrats!

Old 05-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Congrats on the bump...that bike's beyond nakedness.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Last edited by High_Revs_17; 05-08-2006 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
DougZ
Out of Hiding

Brycy Bryce is mad fast.
1995 KDX 200,

DZC

My bikes:

Old 05-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #8
Wishes
Squid

Send a message via AIM to Wishes Send a message via Yahoo to Wishes

Congrats on the bump

Old 05-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
Bster13
Short Shifter

yeah "beyond nakedness" is a good description hehe.,...when gridding up the looks I get are PRICELESS! People almost give off a look as to say "I'm not messing with this guy, he has a couple of marbles loose." :p

But it's all good...as u can tell...I could give a rat's ass about cosmetics, as long as the bike goes like stink I'm cool.

Thanks for the congrats....I really want to teach for TPM, so hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #10
estyles
Learner's Permit

welcome to the blue group, i was pitted next to your truck with the blue r6 and we were chatting at the end of the day. at the beginning of the day i was saying to myself i cant believe that someone rides that thing on the track but that just proves it doesnt matter what you ride its how you ride it. nice meeting you and hopefully see you out in blue at vir on memorial day. evan

Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
Bster13
Short Shifter

haha, well that's a typical reaction so I don't blame ya. :p Thanks for the chat, and for checking me out on the track. Wish I lived in philly so close to all the tracks! See ya down at VIR!

Old 05-08-2006, 10:05 PM   #12
Qetesh

Congrats on the bump

Old 05-09-2006, 12:51 AM   #13
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

Cool deal, Bryce!
I waited for you to come back at tech, but I now I see it took a bit of work to get that throttle situation fixed! true, it's always a mechanical issue with you, haha
I'll see you at VIR! and we definately gotta go out together
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 05-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #14
Bster13
Short Shifter

Omar, can u gain like 30 lbs and let me draft you down the straights at VIR South/North? All my hard work in the corners is going to get eaten up right quick! :p

Yeah sucked u guys were on North course...I wanted to ride with you and Kevin Sullivan as well as John S. but I'm glad Mel saw me, great guy!

Old 05-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #15
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

Quote:
Omar, can u gain like 30 lbs and let me draft you down the straights at VIR South/North?
damn, what's with all these guys that want to stare at my ass?!? first doug, now you!
hahaha
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts