Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate
View Poll Results: Which do you like better?????
Twisties 33 97.06%
110+ on a straight away 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #16
causef0rconcern
Up On One

Send a message via AIM to causef0rconcern

Busa's a big hunky piece of crap. Bottom line. They are sweet, but not for aggressive sport riding. Hayabusas are great if you want to tell everyone you have the biggest engine and most useless tacky chrome parts for a "sportbike" (keep the bling on your street rod/cruiser). But all the chrome brake reservior caps, zillion-dollar bar ends, and blinking valve stem covers just make you look like an idiot. Especially after everyone finds out that your 1300cc (are the new ones 1400cc?) engine can't touch that wimpy little 600 passing you on the inside of every turn...which brings me to my next point...

Twisties are freakin' sweet. Seperate the men from the boys. Yes, it takes alot of experience and skill to really get good at dragging and timing your shifts perfectly in a straight, but...

It takes way more skill and nuts to negotiate a set of sick twisties to the bike's limit. 97% of the time(this is clearly a very broad generaliztion and possible exaggeration), the rider falls short of the bike's capabilities when it comes to canyon/twisty riding. I think it is much easier to master good launches, shifts, and highway manuevering than to throw in the whole other set of dynamics applied when throwing your bike back and forth and putting a knee down.

But that's just my two cents.

'00 Suzuki GSX-R 750: Lonely in NJ.
'92 Honda VFR750 streetfighter: 500lbs of all weather, curb hopping, apocalypse-ready, pothole-eating urban assault device

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE MOTORIZED

Old 10-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #17
sonny
Craigslist Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vice86
haha...is there something about a Busa that i should know about since people sound like its too much bike for me? I guess my first bike shouldn't be a 1300....even though I've ridden before...but no way I'm starting out on a Katana...I want a bike I enjoy riding cuz I like it...not cuz I'm learning...although the Katana is a lot more comfy riding than a Tiller.
Do you even actually ride that bike? You probably just sit on it and grand a handfull and think you're doing something. I started on a katana, and I passed squid gixxer riders that started on 1000's all the time.

You can be on a ninja 250 and have way more fun than you would on a 1000.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #18
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by causef0rconcern
Busa's a big hunky piece of crap. Bottom line. They are sweet, but not for aggressive sport riding. Hayabusas are great if you want to tell everyone you have the biggest engine and most useless tacky chrome parts for a "sportbike" (keep the bling on your street rod/cruiser). But all the chrome brake reservior caps, zillion-dollar bar ends, and blinking valve stem covers just make you look like an idiot. Especially after everyone finds out that your 1300cc (are the new ones 1400cc?) engine can't touch that wimpy little 600 passing you on the inside of every turn...which brings me to my next point...

Twisties are freakin' sweet. Seperate the men from the boys. Yes, it takes alot of experience and skill to really get good at dragging and timing your shifts perfectly in a straight, but...

It takes way more skill and nuts to negotiate a set of sick twisties to the bike's limit. 97% of the time(this is clearly a very broad generaliztion and possible exaggeration), the rider falls short of the bike's capabilities when it comes to canyon/twisty riding. I think it is much easier to master good launches, shifts, and highway manuevering than to throw in the whole other set of dynamics applied when throwing your bike back and forth and putting a knee down.

But that's just my two cents.

In the Busa's defense, member IG uses one for track days...hopefully he'll see this and give a little interpretation.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #19
JHuff1219
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny
Do you even actually ride that bike? You probably just sit on it and grand a handfull and think you're doing something. I started on a katana, and I passed squid gixxer riders that started on 1000's all the time.

I have a great time on the wife's 250 (don't anyone tell her! ) Do you have any idea how angry folks get when they can't get away from or get passed by a 250 on some twisty back road?!?! I do! I love it!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #20
duc748pilot
chicken wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
In the Busa's defense, member IG uses one for track days...hopefully he'll see this and give a little interpretation.
dosnt mean its a suitable machine. You can bring a cruiser on the track...dosnt make it a good bike.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #21
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Yea like the fucking harley dude at the TPM days. He spends more time fixing it than he does riding.

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 10-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #22
shadoxkila
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to shadoxkila

I like a little of both, some nice 110+ on some highways where they have some bends in them is nice if you just wanna cruz along, but definitely ridin into new york and PA is always fun with some nice sweepers and twisties and shit..... I have definitely always wanted to get a hayabusa put a longer swing arm on it and just use it to drag at the track...thats basically sayin "yea i have money to throw in the garbage" cuz it'll be basically usless for normal riding .I used to drag my bike a lot when i first got it simply cuz i was only any good in a straight line

Old 10-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #23
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:

You're correct, but for him there's only one problem, he's a big boy, 6'2" about 235, he needs something with enough power to carry him and he's not an advanced rider so the only thing he'll be alble to do on a 250 is kill the motor and overheat the tires...sorry Rico.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 10-10-2006, 06:36 PM   #24
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rrpilot
dosnt mean its a suitable machine. You can bring a cruiser on the track...dosnt make it a good bike.
I've seen 2 pilots ride the hell out of a Busa thru the Swiss Alps in Europe, but that's a rare occurrence.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 10-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #25
vice86
Skid Mark

Quote:

I'm just stuck on the fact thinking that a 1000 looks bigger than a 750 and would suit me better being 6'2" and a larger framed guy..but if a 750 looks about the same...i'm better off since its probably cheaper..so pretty much its down to a gixxer 750/1000 or tlr 1000.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #26
PitsVtec
SBA Evangelist

Quote:
110 on a straighaway....booooring. Twisties are more fun. Listen to me, I ride a couple times for the first time in years and I'm acting like I'm some big biker.

I'm boring then....I'm slow on the twisties and too many unforescene mishaps.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:17 PM   #27
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
I'm just stuck on the fact thinking that a 1000 looks bigger than a 750 and would suit me better being 6'2" and a larger framed guy..but if a 750 looks about the same...i'm better off since its probably cheaper..so pretty much its down to a gixxer 750/1000 or tlr 1000.
Its your mind playin tricks on ya...when the 04 or 05 gix was at the Javits show, I was able to flat foot the 1K but not the 6 or 750...the 1K had I think a 1/2" lower seat height and was more narrow in the center. The whole "I have a bigger frame than most people so I need a bigger bike(cc)" is a big misconception.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #28
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
when the 04 or 05 gix was at the Javits show, I was able to flat foot the 1K
That was a Kodak moment for sure, your face looked like this--->

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #29
Gigantic
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to Gigantic Send a message via Yahoo to Gigantic

Quote:
the 1000 is way too much by for a re-entry rider. IMHO, the new 750 is the ultimate, but w/ 145hp at the rear, it can also be a handfull for someone getting back into bikes. for a reentry rider, the 600's are great, as are the 650 twins from both suzuki & Kawasaki. but as far as ergonomics go, if you're big, you're SOL. I'm even bigger, at 6'8" & i'm simply resigned to the fact that I will never be totally comfortable on a proper sportbike; they're not made for comfort, anyway, they're made for perfomance, handling & speed. you rarely hear someone complaining that a Lamborgini isn't comfy (they're not!) I dunno why guys bitch that sportbike ergos suck. that's not the point. if you want to be comfortable & ride longer distances, get a sport-tourer like a Honda superhawk or Interceptor, bmw, triumph sprint, etc. FWIW, many of the 2000-2002 vintage sportbikes also have what is considered to be more humane ergos as well.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #30
duc748pilot
chicken wing

the swiss alps? wtf