Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 06-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #61
orion
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to orion

crashing sucks.

i low sided my first bike, an '85 GPz550, within 5 days of buying it coming around a bend loaded with sand, not to mention shitty tires. got nervous and locked up the brakes. bent the front forks and triple tree, and since i was a nooby squid, i had no gear on so i rashed up my knee and elbow, but other than that and a few bruises i was ok. unfortunatley it would take me about 8 months to find the used parts to rebuild my old beater.

2 years ago on my '00VTR1K i was coming home from a ride with my girl at the time on the back. van in front of me making right, so i go around him as i was heading straight. brazillian pizza delivery guy with no liscense decides to make left out of a stop sign in front of me, no room to get around him due to oncoming traffic. smash the brakes and hope for the best. i hit his front bumper on kind of an angle, which sent my girlfriend catapulting across the street, and then the bike lowsides under the car and i go sliding on my left side. she was ok with some bruises and a sore neck, i was about the same, but with a sprained knee. as for the bike, it would have been good for nascar as it only made left turns because of the bent front end, along with a tweaked front end and punctured radiator. bike got totalled. the only damage to the piece of shit '93 dodge shadow was from where i hit the bumper, i ripped the license plate off. and as a side bar, i was so pissed about the bike, i neglected to yank off the high mount carbon microns before the insurance adjuster showed up with his camera. and soon after i brought the bike to monmouth, where it eventually went to the junkyard. allstate gave me $100 for an $800 set of pipes. doh!

and one chilly october morning in '04, i was leaving work on my '01 929 and right in front of the place while making a right turn, being the asshole i was, i whacked the throttle on cold tires. rear spun up and when it grabbed i high sided. she bucked me off like a bronco. luckilly i work in an emergency room. 2 of the nurses i work with, one of them being my boss, saw me walking back to the ER limping and holding my left shoulder, so they helped me out. this time i had a fracture with complete seperation of my left clavicle, a huge hematoma on my left hip, and some seriously damaged pride. bike went down hard on its left side. frame slider saved the plastics pretty much, but the stator cover cracked and all the oil came out on the street. i ordered the new cover and gasket and when i went to put them on, turned out i cracked the engine casing too. so $800 in tig welding later, she still leaks. not terribly of course, but i think i took a beating. still runs like a champ though, Honda for sure.

Last edited by orion; 06-13-2006 at 03:58 PM..

Old 06-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #62
akomplis
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
crashing sucks.
Dang!! i would think so as well...you have a full resume there

Your very fortunate....Has your lady gotten back on the bike with you since your accident together?

Old 06-14-2006, 04:17 AM   #63
orion
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by akomplis
Dang!! i would think so as well...you have a full resume there

Your very fortunate....Has your lady gotten back on the bike with you since your accident together?
no she never rode again, and she was up my ass to give it up. fortunately the new girl loves the bike, and shes good too. i can get that thing down low even with her on the back.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:58 AM   #64
bobbydigital04
Squid

Send a message via AIM to bobbydigital04

ugh... i dont wanna talk about it

(as images of burning money dance through my head)
`02 silver GSXR600 #04
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/bobby_digital04

Old 08-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #65
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

Digging up an old thread here. But the mighty Saxon crashed yesterday in Middletown NY. I was coming up to a stop light and hit the brakes and the frontend tucked and ass over head I went. So far I have a broken left foot, banged up right wrist, pulled muscle in my collar bone area and some minor skuffs. The bike took little damage thanks to the frame sliders and the vortex rearsets. I got the bike up and road it to a friends house and then off to the hospital. Doc says 4 weeks till I can ride again, no way I can wait that long!

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 08-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #66
IrocRob
Throttle Lock

WTF! Stop crashing! Glad you're more or less okay...

...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Maximum Speed...

Old 08-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #67
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

glad yer ok.. damn shifting with a broken foot must have hurt.... unless your body was still in shock (all priase the might endorphines!)

Old 08-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #68
SAXON117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejtable View Post
glad yer ok.. damn shifting with a broken foot must have hurt.... unless your body was still in shock (all priase the might endorphines!)

lol it is the outer most bone, trying to not get a cast so I can still ride

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 08-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #69
Sue
Gear Nazi

I'm really glad you are "okay" Saxon and definitely sorry to hear you crashed.
Heal up quick and feel better!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #70
yb929rr
Skid Mark

glad your only injuries are healable(word?).

don't forget to join us in the non riders club!!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #71
SAXON117

Quote:
Originally Posted by yb929rr View Post
glad your only injuries are healable(word?).

don't forget to join us in the non riders club!!!!

Not if I can help it! Bike is still in great shape and as long as I don't get a cast I'll be riding ASAP. But if I do, you'll see me on that damn thread lol

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 08-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #72
SPL170db
Throttle Lock

dammit Saxon

I've been fortunate to only have 1 crash in my illustrious career. A 15-20 mph lowside that resulted in not much more than a bruised ego. But it felt good to get that 1st out of the way..........it took 6 years to happen.

CCS AM 478

"Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing."

-- Dwight Schrute

Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #73
Lucky7
Tank Slapper

Only one crash at this point...

I was picking my bike up from my mechanic in Brooklyn to take it back to Rockland County. My guy just put on new rotors and master cyclinder and upgraded calipers on my TLS at the time. I decided to take the scenic route and ride across the Willamsburg throught the city. By the time I got on the bridge it was started drizzling a bit and roads were getting damp. I get off the bridge and prepare to take a right. I couldn't really see the road because I had some concrete dividers on the side walk obstructing my view of the road so I didn't see the steel plate right smack in the middle. Some chick ran in front of me to beat the light to crossing the street. I grab the front brake to avoid her to slow down and not hit her. The combination of a little rain on, tires on a smooth metal plate, and abrupt braking just made it a recipe for a low side. I lowsided, me and the bike slide and hit the curb. Fortunately it was at relatively low speed, about 20-25 mph not too much damage on the bike just scratches and a slight ding on the tank. I was wearing a jacket but didn't only had jeans. I went away with rash on my right shin and a bruised ego.

So for me lessons learned were not to be too ham-fisted with the brakes, practice emergency stopping, get better pants.

"Footpeg, knee-puck and side tire wear tell how deeply the devotee partakes of our cult sacraments: the scuffs, scrapes and feathered side rubber from conquered forces, or the fractured plastic of triumphant ones, are worn proudly up and down our two-lane tabernacles as proof of personal enlightenment."

Keith Code

Old 08-13-2007, 06:01 PM   #74
opinion914
White Group Rulez!

You're a trooper Sax, speedy recovery.

now dont go scratchin my streets again.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #75
FigNewTon
Shredded (Cheddar) Moderator

Damn Sax....sorry to hear about your get off. Glad you are alright. Now lay off the foot for a while and let it heal!