Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Media > Pics and Vids > Off Topic Media
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks
Old 05-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Default Yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks

I must say this situation is getting worse by the minute in certain rural and suburban towns, especially the ones that have those signs posted on the center line as a reminder.

If I'm in a vehicle approaching a crosswalk from 100-50 yards away be it in a 25 or 40 mph zone and see someone using it I will stop and flash them to let them know I can see them and that it's okay for them to cross, that's fine, I have plenty of time to take the proper measures to ensure they don't strike my shiny paint job.

What pisses me off is when I'm about 20 feet from the crosswalk at the same speeds and some balloonhead either decides to run or walk fast across it expecting me to stop short because of the law. And when they make that decision they just walk right out like they didn't even see me to begin with even though they knew I was approaching. How do they know I'll be able to stop? They don't know what my situation is, how stupid can people be, is it really worth gambling with your life or even mine?

The best are the moms that are so concerned with their baby's lives that they do the same thing, the only difference is when they're pushing a stroller the first thing that enters the street infront of my car IS the stroller. And I'd assume that if I was to strike someone even though it was due to their bad judgement it would be my fault.

This week some jerk did it probably cuz there was a cop sitting right there on the corner, I had to brake so hard I thought I was going to get rearended. So I pulled right up to the cop, honked my horn and shouted did you see what he just did? He shook his head no, bullshit, he just denied it.

If I see someone that jaywalks I never stop, and they run, if you're not in the crosswalk it's fair game, get out of my way.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Last edited by High_Revs_17; 05-26-2006 at 04:21 PM..

Old 05-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

hit em and see what happens

Old 05-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

If it's in front of a grocery store or target, I don't see the problem. But if it's on a regular stree pedestrians should use common sense and realize it's easier for them to wait an extra few seconds than have a car slam on it's brakes, or even just plow them over if they weren't paying attention.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 05-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o
hit em and see what happens
I'll borrow your truck...it'll be more fun with the 4WD.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 05-26-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Well I work on a military base and the situation can be pretty bad with some drivers. I had one guy who was turning out of the parking lot, not paying attention at all whatsover run right be me and missed me by inches. Before he was even turning into the main road I was already on the street in the crosswalk. No excuse.

On another occasion I had another guy do something very similar and he yelled at me. It turns out it was a COLONEL on the friggen base. Unvbelievable. The speed limit is 30, the stopping distance is minimal, bottom line is if you see somebody entering the street you have to stop, period. Expect it, anticipate it.

I am pretty much in the habit now of smacking the fucking car when they do it to me. Happens often when I am in Red Bank...

Old 05-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
5wytchBh4kk
Short Shifter

when you're on your bike people never give you the same respect as a 4 wheeled vehicle. they just stroll around, through, in front of you like you're on a bicycle. when i tell people my bike weighs 400 lbsa dnc an hurt them they are usually surprised. what bugs me the worst is when i'm trying to park my bike and people are in my way and dont think of moving like they would if a car was pulling into a spot.

on another note, most drivers dont give you the respect as a pedestrian that they should in order to keep you safe. i understand if you're trying to cross a major thouroughfare its one thing, but when the fuckers come inches from the back of your foot to squeeze past you while you're walking into a store, that merits a rock through the windshield or a dent in the quarter.

Last edited by 5wytchBh4kk; 05-26-2006 at 07:28 PM..