Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

a lil help on what to do
Old 01-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
RonJ83
Ron 2.0

Default a lil help on what to do

hi everybody...i will be getting sharkskinz body work for my bike, but they do not come with turnsignal holes. i want to mount Graves flushies on the bike so that it will pass inspection. i plan to ride the bike more on the street but on some weekends i would like to do track. can anyone suggest what i should do? below are picks of the flushies.

thanks in advance
Ron

http://www.gravesport.com/cgi-bin/sh...on&key=TS__401

Old 01-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

not sure about NY, but in NJ turnsignals are optional... they MUST work if they are installed, but if they arent, you can subsitute them withhand signals... just an option if its available for you in NY and you dont care about turn signals...

Old 01-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
duc748pilot
chicken wing

wrong.

if the bike is manufactured with turn signals they may not be removed. if a motorcycle is produced without turn signals the user has the option of either installing turn signals or using hand signals....so technically, you would be breaking the law. just a fyi....i dont think any officer will bust your balls over it unless you dont use proper hand signals

Old 01-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
RonJ83
Ron 2.0

i spoke to my friend whos a cop and he said no cops will bother me just as long as i have turn signals. because i crashed i can show in court why i had to replace it. you are required to have turn sigs in NYC and our exhaust cant exceed 98db. i live on SI, you can always ask Vin how much of the popos are just plain jackasses to sportbike riders.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
Vin
Ducaddilac

Send a message via AIM to Vin

Nice to see another islander heading to the track. Ron, let's get in touch when you start doing some days. Could always use a travel buddy for long-distance track days. (Summit Main 4/24 )

Back to your post, my idea would be to simply drill a small hole in each side of the sharkskinz so that you can mount the signals. Perhaps you could use a small bolt to hold the signal in place on the plastic and make it so that it's easily removable when you do your track days.

Question here is... what are you going to do about headlights?

Facebook | Flickr | NYCGo - New York City

Old 01-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ83
i spoke to my friend whos a cop and he said no cops will bother me just as long as i have turn signals. because i crashed i can show in court why i had to replace it. you are required to have turn sigs in NYC and our exhaust cant exceed 98db. i live on SI, you can always ask Vin how much of the popos are just plain jackasses to sportbike riders.

bullshit i got harased for my turn signals... in SI... and got tickets for them...

Old 01-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
PitsVtec
SBA Evangelist

I posted this a while back check it out...

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Old 01-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #8
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i

Yeah drilling a hole in the shark skins should be no problem. But you may want to head over to home depot and look for away to mount them with support, and the optioin of just removing them and putting covers on for when you hit the track.

I'm sure Vin could help you out with the home depot mods. He is a pro at it.

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 01-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #9
RonJ83
Ron 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
Nice to see another islander heading to the track. Ron, let's get in touch when you start doing some days. Could always use a travel buddy for long-distance track days. (Summit Main 4/24 )

Back to your post, my idea would be to simply drill a small hole in each side of the sharkskinz so that you can mount the signals. Perhaps you could use a small bolt to hold the signal in place on the plastic and make it so that it's easily removable when you do your track days.

Question here is... what are you going to do about headlights?
ill most likely put mesh tape on them that way i wont have to use masking tape everytime i hit the tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o
bullshit i got harased for my turn signals... in SI... and got tickets for them...
if it was for your rear sigs i kinda know why but ive never seen your front sigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitsVtec
I posted this a while back check it out...

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp
dammit they changed it again, now we ARE allowed radars, but the db has dropped to the 80s. good find crystal

P.S. whoever did the pic link thanks

Last edited by RonJ83; 01-09-2006 at 06:09 PM..

Old 01-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ83
P.S. whoever did the pic link thanks
no problem :biggthump

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 01-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #11
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Why bother with finding a simple way to remove the signals for track days? Just drill & mount them properly, then tape them for track days.

On a side note, who wants to deal with hand signals on bikes these days? Cagers are so stuped they don't know what any of those mean anymore, especially the younger drivers which can lead to a deadly situation for the rider. Bright,flashing lights placed properly on one's bike can save their life one day cuz the cattle cagers are already conditioned to look for such things.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Last edited by High_Revs_17; 01-09-2006 at 09:35 PM..

Old 01-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
Gear Dog
Tank Slapper

Send a message via AIM to Gear Dog

I would drill a few holes and mount some custom led set up. put a logo like "R" and drill a pattern around it. Or how about get signals for the mirrors, and put a plug on it. This way you can pull the mirrors off and just unplug the signals.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
Why bother with finding a simple way to remove the signals for track days? Just drill & mount them properly, then tape them for track days.

On a side note, who wants to deal with hand signals on bikes these days? Cagers are so stuped they don't know what any of those mean anymore, especially the younger drivers which can lead to a deadly situation for the rider. Bright,flashing lights placed properly on one's bike can save their life one day cuz the cattle cagers are already conditioned to look for such things.
I am not encouraging hand signals or the like. I was just making a point that electronic signals in NJ are optional.

Inpection guidelines can be found here:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_regis...otorcycle.html

and NJ 39:4-126 Permits the use of hand signals to subsitute electronic signals...

Just because cops harrass you for not having them doesnt mean they are right.. The cops dont make the laws, they only enforce them, and they are sometimes either unaware of them, or think you are and are just trying to generate revenue.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
Gear Dog
Tank Slapper

Send a message via AIM to Gear Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejtable
NJ 39:4-126 Permits the use of hand signals to subsitute electronic signals...

Just because cops harrass you for not having them doesnt mean they are right.. The cops dont make the laws, they only enforce them, and they are sometimes either unaware of them, or think you are and are just trying to generate revenue.
Yeah but you have to argue that point in court. Why give him a reason to pull you over at all.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #15
RonJ83
Ron 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Dog
I would drill a few holes and mount some custom led set up. put a logo like "R" and drill a pattern around it. Or how about get signals for the mirrors, and put a plug on it. This way you can pull the mirrors off and just unplug the signals.
im thinking about using pigspotters and hignbimmin LEDs as running lights and turn sigs, the major thing is to pass inspection, still waiting on Graves to see what they say about mounting flushies to Sharkskinz