Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 04-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #16
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

I am glad you were in the company of some people who are familiar with select fire weapons. More often than not, most soldiers never get to use anything smaller than the M16 or M4 carbines regardless of marksman qualifications. Thank your brother for his service to this great country.
Triggers in the MP5 were not designed to fire like a target rifle. Like I said before, training and practice is necessary to fire an MP5 with any level of proficiency. It is just a "feel" you have to develop since the trigger is kind of klunky on all MP5 models.
As for the ammo, 9mm like all ammo comes in a variety of flavors, some are subsonic and pupose built for firing with supressed weapons. It's more expensive and most places opt not to carry it for punching paper targets. You were more than likely shooting 115gr Ball ammo which is high velocity and would be pretty loud from an MP5 with a can on it.

Your weapon also may have had a great number of rounds down the tube and the supressor may have been in need of refitting. Firing high velocity ammo shortens the life of the supressor guts and they'll get louder over time. Especially when running 300 rounds down the thing and expecting both accuracy and silence.

A reconditioned supressor would be much quieter until the round count got up there again from not firing subsonic ammo.
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 04-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #17
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz
Yup. My brothers entire life is guns, seriously.

i guess he looks and acts mych diff when he is not doing stupid nonsense with us in hooters

Old 04-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #18
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o
i guess he looks and acts mych diff when he is not doing stupid nonsense with us in hooters
Nope. He's a psychopath in and out of uniform.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 04-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #19
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

Quote:
Nope. He's a psychopath in and out of uniform.

grrreat i feel much safer now..

Old 04-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #20
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES
Firing high velocity ammo shortens the life of the supressor guts and they'll get louder over time.
Sorta like a 5yr old D&D

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #21
jcblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o
grrreat i feel much safer now..
I just bought him a digital camera to take to iraq with him. I expect to see some crazy shit in a few months.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 04-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #22
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:

and when I want to reach out and touch someone I use this

Nice Rem700 LTR

great rifles, pretty accurate too
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 04-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #23
jcblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES
Nice Rem700 LTR

great rifles, pretty accurate too
Ken
It shipped with a 6lbs trigger...which is now down to a pound.

Minarchism

Old 04-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #24
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Last time I was checked I had 20/15 vision and I probably couldn't even see a quarter thru iron sites at 100 yards.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 04-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #25
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
Sorta like a 5yr old D&D
...that's been strictly used on the dragstrip...

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 04-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #26
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

I'm jealous, I've been looking into getting into long range firing but have not had the time or the money to do so. I was looking at just buying a bolt action Springfield and just using it for practice till I can afford something a little better. Im green with envy gents.

Not to mention I also live in New Jersey and there is a lack of outdoor firing ranges that will allow high powered rifles.

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 04-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #27
duc748pilot
chicken wing

cherry hill

Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #28
jcblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rrpilot
cherry hill
The one guy that patrols that place is such a douche bag. He yells about the dumbest things. Now that I live in PA I can drive in any direction and I'll hit a range in like 20 minutes. I have an indoor pistol range 5 minutes from my house.

Minarchism

Old 04-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #29
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
It shipped with a 6lbs trigger...which is now down to a pound.
Careful with the light triggers on factory Rem700 rifles. If I wanted a lighter trigger, I opt for one made by Arnold Jewel which will hold the set both longer and more safely. Personally , I don't recommend anything lighter than 2 pounds for most shooters. I have purpose built benchrest rifles with 2oz triggers that only see a shooting bench. Way too much can go wrong with very light triggers.
Most of my other varmint/target rifles are in the 2-3 pound range. My Competitive service rifles are required to have a 4 pound trigger.

If you like Rem700's here one I designed the cartridge for. I named the caliber the 220Russo-Varminter. It's based upon a modified 220 Russian case and is larger than a 22PPC. Very hot cartridge for varmint shooting. Accurate too. I was able to push a 40gr Sierra Blitz King at about 3900fps with it and I expect a little more veliocity with some tweaking.
Ken

Sako Extractor in the bolt to accept the larger 220Russian based case

the cartridges shown are as follows
220 Russian/22PPC/220Russo-Varminter/223 Remington
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

Last edited by NYCSTRIPES; 04-20-2006 at 12:38 PM..

Old 04-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #30
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy
I'm jealous, I've been looking into getting into long range firing but have not had the time or the money to do so. I was looking at just buying a bolt action Springfield and just using it for practice till I can afford something a little better. Im green with envy gents.

Not to mention I also live in New Jersey and there is a lack of outdoor firing ranges that will allow high powered rifles.

Shame really, NY is also headed that way, good shooting ranges are getting more scarce by the year. Not a lack of gun owners, just a lack of gun owners who are active shooters. People do not bitch as loud as anti-gun people and before you realize it, gun shops go first, then there is noplace to shoot.

I am considering relocating to Arizona in the next year or two. Mostly for work, but I can get used ot being in a gun friendly state.

Long range shooting is a great sport. I travel to Wyoming every year for an annual prairie dog shoot. This will be my 6th year in a row. The cattle ranches that put us up are the nicest people I have ever met. Great country out there, incredible shooting opportunities.
Every year I pack up different caliber rifles for the trip.

I would not opt for the older Springfield bolt rifle, I would just look at something in a modern Remington 700 varmint weight rifle or one from Savage also in a varmint weight. Savage rifles are more economically priced and no less accurate. Withthe older Springfield rifle you may run into issues with firing modern ammo in an older rifle that may be needing some gunsmithing updates that may cost you as much as buying a new rifle.
I suggest staring with something in 223Remington which is both accurate and inexpensive to shoot. 223 is also very mild in recoil, so you will be able to shoot it all day long with no shoulder pain like from having to shoot a 308Winchester all day.

Here are a few that have made the trip west

Custom Rem700 in 220Russo-Varminter

Rem700 Classic in17 Rem

Custom Rem700 n 223 Ackley Improved

Armalite M15A4T in 223

Custom Rem700 in 6BR

Custom Rem 700 tactical rifle in 6BR
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

Last edited by NYCSTRIPES; 04-20-2006 at 12:56 PM..