Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

TV Opinion
Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Default TV Opinion

Getting ready to buy a new TV. LCD vs LCD LED. Is the LED worth the extra $400 or so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Since the prices are dropping and the picture quality is great I would lean towards the LED. The bonus is that the LED is supposed to use less electricity than the LCD tv's.

my 2 cents.
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 07-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Yes, but not all LED is equal. For example in those really slim Samsung sets, they use edge lighting only (no local dimming), and while its not bad, you arent really getting the full benefit of LED lighting. For the most part plasma still offers the best picture overall. With most good sets you are really splitting hairs and you would likely be happy with any quality TV, especially if you dont have an HDTV yet.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
sonny
Craigslist Champion

The LED backlight LCD tv is nice because it's very, very thin. The picture quality is on par with LCD.

Plasma refresh rate isnt as fast as LCD/LED so unless you spend serious $$$ you will see ghosting, forget about gaming on a plasma. Also burn in is still a concern for plasma and you should pray nothing breaks with a plasma because it's going to cost you some coin.

I recently purchased a Samsung LED-LCD tv. the 46" C6500 series from best buy. I love it, the only problem is that the internet@tv feature does not work if you have Verizon FIOS in the NYC metro area.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9784408

Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejtable View Post
Yes, but not all LED is equal. For example in those really slim Samsung sets, they use edge lighting only (no local dimming), and while its not bad, you arent really getting the full benefit of LED lighting. For the most part plasma still offers the best picture overall. With most good sets you are really splitting hairs and you would likely be happy with any quality TV, especially if you dont have an HDTV yet.
I will have HD. But even so is it still just splitting hairs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
The LED backlight LCD tv is nice because it's very, very thin. The picture quality is on par with LCD.

Plasma refresh rate isnt as fast as LCD/LED so unless you spend serious $$$ you will see ghosting, forget about gaming on a plasma. Also burn in is still a concern for plasma and you should pray nothing breaks with a plasma because it's going to cost you some coin.

I recently purchased a Samsung LED-LCD tv. the 46" C6500 series from best buy. I love it, the only problem is that the internet@tv feature does not work if you have Verizon FIOS in the NYC metro area.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9784408
You can't compare refresh rates of two completely different technologies, they have nothing to do with each other. Plasma is actually the preferred technology for gaming, do the research. Better contrast ratios, deeper blacks, and no response time issues just to name a few.

Burn in has also not been an issue with plasma for years. Some sets might suffer from image retention, but this is temporary, vs burn in, which is permanent.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejtable View Post
For example in those really slim Samsung sets, they use edge lighting only (no local dimming), and while its not bad, you arent really getting the full benefit of LED lighting.
on that. Sony had the same issue. They went SUPER thin on one of their top of the line sets and NO ONE bought it because of the edge lighting. You lose contrast in those sets.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 07-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to ImmaSquashYou

the only true back lit led are by sharp or panasonic (forgot which one). Samsung made them once, but had to pull them out because of infringement. which is then why samsung made the edge lit ones. But at this point, pick an led tv for the cheapest and best review. You know that a new tv is gonna replace yours in a month or two.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
Lazarus
Burnout

I'm in the market for a new tv too. I want some flat panel type, 55". Whats something good to get? Got $1500 or so to spend.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to ImmaSquashYou

laz, if you wait for a deal, you can prob pick up at samsung or sharp. If you can't really wait, you can look into vizio or lg.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
Lazarus
Burnout

Why if I wait I can get a deal? I'm in no rush. I am just starting to research them, ask Cakes how long that will take.

Which is better? The Samsungs and Sharps? I have all Sony stuff ATM but I dont think I want anymore Sony.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Oh boy, here we go. lol

Wheres Uncle Paul?

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

In general, all manufactures have multiple product lines. Each product line will have certain features and specifications and are generally offered in multiple sizes. Samsung low end sets might be better than LGs high end sets, and vice versa. Quality can also vary from the same manufacturer as different product lines may be produced in different factories, even in another country.

You are going to pay top dollar for the latest and greatest, which isn't very smart because in a few months, since it will cost less in a few months when the new latest and greatest is released to replace it. On top of that the new stuff is unproven, and the only reviews you are going to see are from the industry which tend to be biased and unreliable. Over time many units will have some weird issue that you will be able to read up on, and make a better decision if its the right set for you.

For a TV under 42" LCD is your only real choice. for 42"-60"ish you have LCD and Plasma, and over 60" you have plasma, DLP or a projector with a screen. I am not sure what the largest reasonably priced consumer LCD TV is, but it is probably in the mid 50s".

I chose plasma because its disadvantages such as weight, glare and power consumption were a non factor for me, and for the price range any LCD would not match the picture quality. I'm sure plasma will eventually go away as LCD closes the gap.

The more details you can give on what you are looking for and what you plan on doing with the TV can give the rest of us a better idea on what to recommend. Such as will you be watching a lot of standard def TV on it, video games? would you like to hook your pc/laptop up to it? is this for the bedroom or living room. will you be watching movies on it?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
paul11
Resident A/V Guy

Here is the answer..........................

Most people (you guys) have no clue what a good image is supposed to look like. Go to best buy or PC richards and pick what looks best to you. (i just did an install with a 12k plasma panel, and the stupid fuck client compared it to the 1200 dollar samsung in the hamptons and tried to tell me the samsung looks beter.......case in point......the plasma was ISF tuned with fancy devices and things i can't even pronounce)

If you reallly , truely, honestly care about the image quality AND (big AND) have the money to spend. I can lean you towards making a good decision. F 3D.......is sucks and makes you dizzy as hell so don't even ask yet.

my personal pic if 46" Samsung 8000 series or sony ex700 series, but both are not that cheap...........if you can find a pioneer elite hanging around anywhere or even broad line pionner BUY IT!!!!!!.........with out question the best image you will find.........KEEP IN MIND........if you tv will be in high light situations then stay with LED LCD.

sorry for jumping around, but i hope my rant helps you a bit. if not i will tell you where joe lives and you can go steal his tv........LOL

Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
paul11
Resident A/V Guy

ohh and i do agree with alot of what ffejtable says and i think what he is saying is true..........what r you going to use it for will definately hold weight.......