Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > The Garage - Tech Talk > Suspension, Tires, Handling
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Old 08-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #31
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew231506 View Post
Ok I will if it continues.

The rider sag is set for 36mm Front/ 24mm Rear, that should be fine. I'm now leaning more towards the hot tear than the spring tear. I have tire warmers for this weekend and I'll be checking the pressure. I'll let you know the results...

Thanks for the help!
With that 24mm do you have enough static sag? I happen to be on the phone with Ron for something else, he was sayin about a 7mm spread between f/r is about average.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #32
pillaka
Stiffy Pooh

Send a message via AIM to pillaka

Check your tire pressures when you come right off the track, you're aiming for a hot pressure of 32 front 29 rear. I usually well check my pressures when the warmers are at there peak temp, but once I come off the track the pressure will go up 1 - 3 psi. Additionally you'll have to check continuously throughout the day.

To quote your "The bike should hold its line in the turn but mine wants to run wide and I'm forcing it to hold" - thats why the tire is getting ripped up, you can mess with the suspension but is there a way you can alter your riding to use it to your advantage? Turning in earlier, then getting on the gas sooner? What about trailer braking a little harder to compress the front end more to keep a steeper rake angle? When does the bike fell like it running wide, entry, mid corner, or exit?

2009 Yamaha R6 Racebike R.I.P
WERA expert #360
CCS/ASRA #360
TPM Coach #360

2009 Sponsors

Team Pro-Motion
Woodcraft CFM Motorsports
Monmouth Cycles
Rider Insurance

Old 09-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #33
Trackdaze
Learner's Permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillaka View Post
Check your tire pressures when you come right off the track, you're aiming for a hot pressure of 32 front 29 rear. I usually well check my pressures when the warmers are at there peak temp, but once I come off the track the pressure will go up 1 - 3 psi. Additionally you'll have to check continuously throughout the day.

To quote your "The bike should hold its line in the turn but mine wants to run wide and I'm forcing it to hold" - thats why the tire is getting ripped up, you can mess with the suspension but is there a way you can alter your riding to use it to your advantage? Turning in earlier, then getting on the gas sooner? What about trailer braking a little harder to compress the front end more to keep a steeper rake angle? When does the bike fell like it running wide, entry, mid corner, or exit?

Trailer braking? My trailer doesn't even have brakes

J/K
CCS #530
TPM Coach #530
2007 ZX6R

UPDATE:
Old 09-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #34
Drew13
pharmacodical sukamocadodo

Default UPDATE:

Days 1 & 2 Shenandoah: (try to make it short)

tire warmers tire pressure 31 front, 29 rear hot all day. Ignored the first session then went out the second session and it felt terrible again. (disclaimer- there is a possibility this is all in my head and there is also a possibility that lack of skill is a contributing factor) The front end felt really light coming out of corners and was wobbling sometimes. I couldnt steer it and it would push wide hard. When I came in, I had the sag measured and the front was 46mm somehow. So we turned the preload all the way stiff and got it down to 35mm in front. It did feel better and I trusted it more and ran my best time of 26.6.

The front tire looked terrible again...maybe worse than before. I'm not sure how it passed tech. It slipped once and that was it for my confidence, so I spent most of the day waiting for Glen to check the suspension. He asked if i had been at Lightning with a front like that, i hadn't been. After a little chuckle at how bad it was set up he fixed it for me, I didn't get much feedback on what he did, looked like he tightened up the dampening and compression. He said your suspension wasn't working and now it is. I went out again for 1.5 sessions but ran only 80% cause of the tire. I didn't notice anything significant...but i was more concerned with the tire. Nobody was around to mount a new one.

Enjoying the process...
CCS/TPM/NESBA #717

GSXR-600
Husky 510 SM
Ninjette 250

Winchester, VA

Last edited by Drew13; 09-02-2008 at 05:37 PM..

UH OH....
Old 09-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #35
Drew13

Default UH OH....

So uhhhhh....through all of this I may have left out a minuscule detail that could hold the answer. Here's the short story...was at Beaverun...rear tire failed tech on the second day...they had no tires...except a 190 supercorsa pro. So I know a 190 tire can fit, but does it change the geometry of the bike such that one would need to adjust the suspension? Maybe it puts a little more weight on the front? Or no?

I'm also going to talk with CTR Suspensions for fun this weekend at the CCS races.
CCS/TPM/NESBA #717

GSXR-600
Husky 510 SM
Ninjette 250

Winchester, VA

Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #36
ronaldo9
Benedict Arnold

Send a message via AIM to ronaldo9

Yes i used a 190 rear on my old 750 and it made the bike harder to turn but you could get on the gas earlier and harder when ur leaned over. It does affect the geometry since your ride height has increased.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #37
Trackdaze
Learner's Permit

Quote:
The front end felt really light coming out of corners and was wobbling sometimes. I couldnt steer it and it would push wide hard.
That sounds like the rear shock is "packing in"

It sounds like you really need to have someone look it all over. Sometimes we get so focused on one area of the bike (forks in this case) and ignore the other end.

Ifthe shock is packing in, you will have a feeling of the front end being light, it willpush wide, and it will cause head shake. All three things that you describe.
CCS #530
TPM Coach #530
2007 ZX6R

Last edited by Cakes206; 09-03-2008 at 04:17 PM..

Old 09-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #38
FDNYDANO18
Lieutenant Dan

Quote:
So uhhhhh....through all of this I may have left out a minuscule detail that could hold the answer. Here's the short story...was at Beaverun...rear tire failed tech on the second day...they had no tires...except a 190 supercorsa pro. So I know a 190 tire can fit, but does it change the geometry of the bike such that one would need to adjust the suspension? Maybe it puts a little more weight on the front? Or no?

I'm also going to talk with CTR Suspensions for fun this weekend at the CCS races.
Pretty important detail..... changes the suspension ratio front to rear plenty... always needs to be adjusted.

best of luck

Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #39
Drew13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNYDANO18 View Post
Pretty important detail..... changes the suspension ratio front to rear plenty... always needs to be adjusted.

best of luck
Yea........

Learned a lot about suspension along the way though.
CCS/TPM/NESBA #717

GSXR-600
Husky 510 SM
Ninjette 250

Winchester, VA

Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #40
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

As stated above, give Ron at WCW a call tomorrow. Explain the situation, and where you're from...see if he can give any insight over the phone. Tell him you're with sportbikeaddicts.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #41
RCM78
Tech Nazi

If the bike is running wide at the exit your rear shock is squatting too much.
Add some compression to the rear shock until it feels better. You might need aftermarket suspension to get it right.
TPM Coach #71

Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #42
Trackdaze
Learner's Permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
Add some compression to the rear shock until it feels better. You might need aftermarket suspension to get it right.

Or the rebound could be too slow which could also cause packing.
CCS #530
TPM Coach #530
2007 ZX6R

Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #43
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

Quote:
Hey at least someone agrees with me.
http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/s...25&postcount=7

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #44
pillaka
Stiffy Pooh

Send a message via AIM to pillaka

Quote:
Just give it more gas

2009 Yamaha R6 Racebike R.I.P
WERA expert #360
CCS/ASRA #360
TPM Coach #360

2009 Sponsors

Team Pro-Motion
Woodcraft CFM Motorsports
Monmouth Cycles
Rider Insurance

Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #45
FDNYDANO18