Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Local Denver radio station DJ advocates violence against riders
Old 09-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Aracheon
Squid

Send a message via AIM to Aracheon Send a message via MSN to Aracheon Send a message via Yahoo to Aracheon
Default Local Denver radio station DJ advocates violence against riders

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=76926

DENVER - For years, motorcyclist Dana Straw has been an avid listener of Alice 105.9's morning show. That is, until, this week, when he heard something he could not believe.

He says one of the show's three disc jockeys, known as "Howie," was talking about an encounter he had with a motorcyclist on the road who was driving erratically.

"He said, 'I wanted to open a car door on these guys who were passing me on the shoulder of the road on the right hand side of the road,'" said Straw. "And then today, during his broadcast, pretty much was inviting other listeners to call into the radio and tell their stories, and was kind of egging listeners on to explain they would like to do the same thing too."

Since the broadcast Wednesday morning, word of what reportedly took place on the airwaves has sparked a massive campaign by local motorcycle groups to boycott advertisers and listeners alike from the station.

They are writing in by the hundreds, sometimes thousands, on Web sites like http://www.cosportbikeclub.org.

"When you have people telling you how to harm other people on the road, especially people who are unprotected like motorcyclists and don't have a cage around them, that's absolutely horrible," said Straw. "He's (Howie) a public figure, on the radio, a lot of people listen to him and to mention something like that was really bad."

Biker Siona Weaver, whose mother was killed by a truck while riding her motorcycle, agrees.

"We have as much right to be out there as anyone else, and we're not going out there to run people off the roads," she said. "I'm very upset that anyone would suggest to hit a motorcyclist. Period."

9NEWS contacted the station's program director, Dave Symonds, who denied the show ever mentioned opening car doors to oncoming bikers, and had no further comment on the matter.

9NEWS also asked Alice 105.9 for recordings of this week's morning shows to hear for ourselves what was said. Symonds would not give them to us.

Bikers like Weaver and Straw want there to be more education about safely sharing the roads with motorcyclists.

"The more people understand, the safer it's going to be for everybody," said Weaver.

They fear that what they heard this week on Alice 105.9 not only made light of doing harm on the road, but will encourage drivers to hate bikers.

"It's inciting people to do bad things to people when they're just trying to project themselves on the road," said Straw. "They had a caller on this morning that said she felt like nudging a motorcyclist."

2006 Honda VFR Interceptor - Daily Driver

Old 09-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Aracheon
Squid

Send a message via AIM to Aracheon Send a message via MSN to Aracheon Send a message via Yahoo to Aracheon

For the record, I heard both broadcasts.

Isn't it funny how Alice is refusing to give up the transcripts, and is denying anything of the sort was ever said?

Old 09-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Aracheon
Squid

CSC's response:

September 7, 2007

Over the past two days, one of the DJ's on Alice 105.9 Radio named "Howie" has been inciting quite a bit of hateful calls from the community, specifically directed towards sport bike riders. Now, everyone has a right to their opinion, however he has actually been suggesting that people take violent action against anyone they see riding a sport bike - this is completely uncalled for, and many of us who ride such motorcycles now have a real and legitimate fear for our safety on the road, and possibly even our lives.

Typically the CSC respects everyone's right to an opinion, however this is serious enough that the Colorado Sportbike Club is calling for a statewide (or beyond, if you so choose) boycott of not only Alice Radio, but the companies that advertise on their station. Advertisers are where the money in any radio station comes from, and only by threatening or removing that source of funds will the radio station get the message that we're serious.

The CSC will not lift this boycott until the following conditions are met:

1. The management of Alice 105.9 Radio issues a statement that this type of hateful and dangerous speech will not be tolerated on their station ever again.

2. The DJ Howie and his producer(s) that stood by and allowed this to continue issue a formal, written apology to sport bike riders in the state of Colorado.

As you may be aware, our motorcycle site reaches thousands of motorcyclists across the state; we are also hoping that other clubs and organizations will follow suit and join us in making sure Alice gets the message that this will not be tolerated.

If even one motorcyclist's life is saved or spared from years of debilitating injury, then this boycott will have served its purpose. It also sends the message to Alice and other radio stations that we are not open to ridicule and acts of violence just because we choose a different mode of transportation, and will make it known financially that this is the case.

Below is a list of the companies we know to advertise on Alice's station or web site, and are the ones that you should not only avoid, but make known to them why you are doing so. This list will be updated as we get new information, so check back often!

Panera Bread
Geico Insurance
Wendy's
Foresters Financial Partners
TLC Laser Eye Centers

Isle of Capri
Jose Cuervo Tequila
Hacienda of Colorado - 3 locations
Cinema Grill - E. Alameda
My Girlfriend's Kitchen - 8555 W Belleview Ave
Water 2 Wine -8130 S. University Blvd
D'Vine Wine - 1660 Champa St
BJ's Resaurant - 14442 E. Cedar Ave
Miyama Steak House & Sushi Bar - 9101 Kimmer Drive
Texas de Brazil - 8390 East 49th Avenue

Also, here is a PDF file you can email or print and hand out to any establishment you avoid as a result of this boycott:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/Alice...Advertiser.pdf

Thank you for supporting us in this unfortunate but necessary step to ensure our safety on the road, and our place as legitimate motorists.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Oh man...I dunno how long I could go w/o a spicy chicken sammich from Wendy's.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
CBRChick
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes982 View Post
Oh man...I dunno how long I could go w/o a spicy chicken sammich from Wendy's.
Hehe... this is true I wrote the morning show my own "letter" (I like to be original.. LOL!) ... but, I'm not going to boycott them because they have one stupid DJ... we have to give them the chance to make it right... we all make mistakes... and we are all entitled to an opinion and this unpopular one is Howie's :shrug: If we boycotted everyone who had an unpopular/hateful opinion, I don't think anyone would be left in the US...

Old 09-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
Aracheon
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRChick View Post
Hehe... this is true I wrote the morning show my own "letter" (I like to be original.. LOL!) ... but, I'm not going to boycott them because they have one stupid DJ... we have to give them the chance to make it right... we all make mistakes... and we are all entitled to an opinion and this unpopular one is Howie's :shrug: If we boycotted everyone who had an unpopular/hateful opinion, I don't think anyone would be left in the US...

In all fairness, that's probably the right thing to do, provided that no bikers lose their lives on account of an angry and disillusioned cager. However, Alice refuses to release transcripts of the broadcast in question, and Howie is refusing to give a sincere apology.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
CBRChick
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post
In all fairness, that's probably the right thing to do, provided that no bikers lose their lives on account of an angry and disillusioned cager. However, Alice refuses to release transcripts of the broadcast in question, and Howie is refusing to give a sincere apology.
True true... it would be nice to get a heartfelt apology from him... but I just can't give up my #7 from Wendy's I rode to work this morning and had no incidents! Didn't seem like people were angry or aggressive toward me..

Old 09-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
Aracheon
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRChick View Post
True true... it would be nice to get a heartfelt apology from him... but I just can't give up my #7 from Wendy's I rode to work this morning and had no incidents! Didn't seem like people were angry or aggressive toward me..

It's kinda funny about that - I am starting to pay even more attention to what's going on around me than I ever did before. I'd like to think I'm a very attentive rider, as I've avoided 2 potentially life-threatening situations simply by being AWARE... but now I'm almost paranoid.