Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

NJ Salvage Bike Inspection??
Old 07-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
ED_06gixxer
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to ED_06gixxer
Default NJ Salvage Bike Inspection??

Hey guys has anyone gone through the NJ DMV process of inspecting a salvage bike so it can registered for street use? If so, is the process a pain in the ass? Do you have any tips?

The reason I ask is because Im probably going to be selling my track bike to my cousin. I kinda need the money for other things right now so track days are on hold for a little while.

History of the bike: July of 07, I went down at pocono east and bike was totalled by insurance company. I bought the bike back and fixed a lot of the stuff slowly. I have most of the receipts but obviously some stuff I bought on the forums so I don't have every single receipt.

I've read some stuff about salvage inspections on the NJ DMV website, but they ask for before and after pics, receipts for all the parts, and if the parts were used, you need the vin # of the bike that the parts came from.

It sounds like so much stuff, and then they say once you have all that, make an appointment at a special inspection station and it will take an hour and you can't watch what they do.

If anyone has gone though the process what advice can you give me? If it's too much trouble, I'll have to tell my cousin sorry and sell to someone who will use it as a track/race bike.

Here's a pic of the bike.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
ED_06gixxer
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to ED_06gixxer

at summit, I'll miss the bike

Old 07-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Bring what you have, every last receipt and b4 and after pics. You will leave the bike with them for about an hour. When you come back, if you gave them enough paper to make yourself look legit, you will have the go ahead paperwork from them. They will not have done a thing but shuffle your papers.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils