Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > Female Riders
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Hey ladies
Old 01-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Twistedneedles
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to Twistedneedles Send a message via Yahoo to Twistedneedles
Talking Hey ladies

Hey all! Its been awhile since Ive been on. Still looking for a bike, havent found any that fit yet. Any ideas let me know!

Sarah

Old 01-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Sue
Gear Nazi

What kind of bike are you looking for? Sportbike....cruiser?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
breeze
Up Chuck

same as sues quesion i got a bunch
C.C.S.#323
METRIC DEVIL MOTO RACING
supported by: TPM/Heroic/Pirelli/Penske/Full Spectrum

Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Twistedneedles
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to Twistedneedles Send a message via Yahoo to Twistedneedles
Wink

Im looking at sportbikes. I have about 6000 to spend. I have looked at F4is Kaws jxr 750s and a few others. Im 5'3 and I havent sat on one yet where I wasnt going to have to remove the bottom farings (sp?) so they wouldnt be on the ground just so I could touch the ground comfortably. This would be my first bike of my own, I'm not interested in the 250 because it just isnt me. Doesnt feel right ya know? I know that it would be best to get a used bike because it is my first one, but I dont want to buy it from "some guy" for fear that there is damage that I wouldnt be able to diagnose. My husband just recently left for the Army so hes not around to help right now. I want to be able to ride by the time we're together again in late July. He would get frustrated with me as a beginner just because its him. So like I said any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Sue
Gear Nazi

Hmmm... I'm not sure because everyone is different and there are so many bikes to choose from. I can tell you this will be my 3rd season riding. I started with a Ninja 250 and loved it and was very comfortable with the power and weight of the bike. Than I moved up to a Yamaha R6S after 6 months of riding. I made the jump too fast and never felt comfortable on the R6S like I did the Ninja. We ended up selling the R6S over the summer and we just bought a 2009 Ninja 250. I am going back to what was comfortable for me.
If you are a new rider I would truly recommend the Ninja 250 because its a forgiving bike that is easy to learn to ride on. You can always upgrade anytime.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited by Sue; 01-09-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 01-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Why would the fairings hit the ground? You planning on lowerring it? If you plan on lowering it so much you would drag the fairing you are buying the wrong bike. You can change things only so much before they lose their intended purpose. Like Sue said, a 250 may not be you but it may be the only thing that YOU fit. Go try out all the makes and models yourself before making a choice. Some similar models may fit you better than others. A F4i may be all wrong but a 600RR may be better....

If you are a beginner or haven't rode much/recently, I would suggest taking/re-taking the MSF's BRC. Try here.. www.renj.com
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 01-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
breeze
Up Chuck

oh wow your not from the tri state.... cbrbob hit it on the head sit on as many bikes as you can to see what feels the best.........as far as scraping the lower fairing who cares your a chick on a bike.. i got 3 girls in my club all of them are your size and there bikes are lowered between 2 to 4 inches 4 inches is slammed they have no problems any where and you barely see the scrapes.. MY ADVICE DONT BUY NEW FOR YOUR FIRST BIKE
C.C.S.#323
METRIC DEVIL MOTO RACING
supported by: TPM/Heroic/Pirelli/Penske/Full Spectrum

Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
CBRChick
Short Shifter

on the not buying a new bike. You're going to drop it and trust me, dropping a used bike is MUCH less painful than dropping a brand new bike. Hopefully you saying that a 250 is not for you is not because you care what people think about you being on a 250... because buying a bike for what other people think is not a good reason to buy a bike. If a 250 is what fits you the best for you to get going, you can always upgrade down the road (like others have already said). But, with that said, I started on a 95 F3 9 years ago and I don't think that was a wrong decision for me. I'm only 5'4" and have not had a problem with my F3, F4i, 600RR or 1000RR being too tall for me (none of them lowered). (well, maybe a little on the 1000 as I need my BF to back it up for me out of parking spots because it would take me much longer to do it on my own .) I think a 600RR might be too much bike as a first bike and would recommend an early '00 F series or another similar bike. Most dealerships are fine (from my experience) with people test riding used bikes before buying. Try asking friends if you can ride theirs around the block to get a feeling of each different bike. You won't know what you like until you try it on for size Good luck!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Shelly
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to Shelly

Hey Twisted I'm also petite, 5'0". I started out on a stock 250 and barely touched w/ both feet down. I bought it used and dropped it several times just from losing my balance being a new rider,etc. I bought it w/ the intent of just learning how to ride and it served exactly that purpose. It's a great bike to learn on! I've since upgraded and bought a used GSX-R600 (which I had to lower) and love it! Buying small and being comfy riding and learning worked well for me and I'd recommend going that route, along w/ buying used.

As far as the lowering part...actually, I had to replace my rear fender over the summer since my tire was rubbing underneath but never had any issues w/ lower fairing rub on the ground. I will most likely have to raise it back up. I'll be getting some boots w/ a taller sole or heal to compensate for the difference so the tire's getting the clearance it needs and I'm able to touch w/out issues

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other advice/input.

"Honesty is telling the truth to ourselves and others. Integrity is living that truth."-- Ken Blanchard

Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #10
CBRBob
A 37 Production

FYI, a taller heel on a boot does ZERO for helping you if you can't touch. Think about it, when you stop, you put the balls of your feet down first. If you have the soles of your shoes made thicker you will be riding in platforms(a'la the 70's lol) and lose the feel of the controls in doing so.

You may want to cut some of the seat padding down and/or narrow the front of the seat so your feet can touch a bit sooner. Remember it's not just seat height, but width as well.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Last edited by CBRBob; 01-10-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
Shelly
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to Shelly

Correct if just a taller heel. The entire sole needs to be higher. My current boots are worn out and due for replacement but kinda similar to these. They allow for the foot peg, some height and traction. Have worked great for the past 2.5 yrs

Absolutely correct on seat width, GSXR's are more narrow then other bikes I sat on, ie: F4I. Another good pointer for twisted to keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
FYI, a taller heel on a boot does ZERO for helping you if you can't touch. Think about it, when you stop, you put the balls of your feet down first. If you have the soles of your shoes made thicker you will be riding in platforms(a'la the 70's lol) and lose the feel of the controls in doing so.

You may want to cus some of the seat padding down and/or narrow the front of the seat so your feet can touch a bit sooner. Remember it's not just seat height, but width as well.

"Honesty is telling the truth to ourselves and others. Integrity is living that truth."-- Ken Blanchard

Last edited by Shelly; 01-11-2009 at 02:12 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
Twistedneedles
Learner's Permit

Talking

I rode my husbands interceptor over the summer a few times, once I got going I was fine, it was just stopping that worried me as far as being able to keep balance on my tip toes. I am petite but its my legs that are short. 26" inseam lol so hence my problem. I have friends that have cbr 600 rrs gxrs and f4is.
The reason the 250 isnt me has nothing to do with what other people think. It just isnt something I like. I have sat on all of these as well as ninja 600 and katanas. So far the ninja 600 is my favorite. I live in Northern IN so a test drive is OUT for at least another 3 months, this damned weather. LOL Anyway, a lot of the guys at the station have offered to go down to the bike shops with me and I trust their judgement too. This is all foreign to me as most of the time my husband has been with me and talks to the dealers and what not. So this is going to be a new experience. I know I am going to have to get boots that accomodate me as well as being able to function properly. I am definitely goint to purchase used because knowing me, Im going to drop it ALOT!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
CBRBob
A 37 Production

As you stop, slide your butt to the left on the seat so your right foot stays on the brake and your left foot can be almost or fully flat on the ground. You know you only NEED to stop with 1 foot down. 2 feet down is not necessary most of the time.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
BoRkA
Squid

I can suggest a ninja 500, i have one and the seat height is very low on it.
Plus its very comfy and forgiving, a great learning bike with some power to it.

its basically a ninja 250 with a bigger engine.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
Lazarus
Burnout

A girl down here has a lowered 600RR, dont know her experience or exact height but I"m 5'6-7" and I tower over here, shes very petite too and she rides alot.