Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

salvage title insurance
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Default salvage title insurance

Is it possible to have full coverage insurance on a motorcycle that was fixed up after it was considered a total loss in the past?

I crashed my bike on the track about 3-4 years ago. State Farm totalled the bike and paid me. I paid to buy the bike back, fixed it up, and got it inspected by DMV. When I called my agent to get insurance on it, I explained what happened and asked for liability only, but the lady I spoke to offered full coverage. This bike was insured through them before the crash so I know they have records of the accident and payout. I asked her if it was OK considering my previous accident/total loss; she said it was, and if by some chance it wasn't, corporate would kick it back and/or request a photo inspection. It was only $50 more per year so I said OK to the full coverage. She said if I got my insurance card, then it was officially OK. I still have my doubts.

I'm thinking about it now and was wondering what would happen if I got in another accident or if someone stole my bike. Would my insurance honor my full coverage insurance, or would they try to say it should've been liability only and try to refund the extra premium I paid for full coverage and not pay me for the damages or loss?

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Sue
Gear Nazi

I can only tell you what I know for sure on one of my customer's cars. Her van was totalled in an accident and she had a salvage title after the insurance company paid her.

She had the vehicle repaired and all damages fixed and than wanted full coverage again which I thought was "not" possible. It turns out that she was able to get the vehicle certified as being safe and sound by a licensed mechanic at a garage and the insurance company did in fact insure the van for full coverage again.

I would definitely question your insurance person again about this to be 100% sure!

Last edited by Sue; 07-22-2010 at 05:35 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Thanks.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
RCM78
Tech Nazi

I would be surprised if they didnt want a photo inspection...
TPM Coach #71

Old 07-24-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to ImmaSquashYou

I know that all state sent someone out to inspect cars that you are just adding full coverage to in order to prevent fraud. But because it does not have a rebuilt title, you might have complications? Imo, i would want someone to inspect the bike.