Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Chain Lube? NH don't need no stinkin chain lube
Old 10-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #16
Toro_Duke
Learner's Permit

Talking Chain Lube? NH don't need no stinkin chain lube

And you sent a dirty bike pic because????

yep...wd40 has many uses.....however it does not have silicone !!! and should NOT be used for cleaning a chain...although very good at it....here is what ic will do to your chain. see lower part of this article.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/

WD-40 formula. now they could have added some form of silicone during their 40 years of existence but common chemical sense tells me they did not, or didn't need to.
70% low aromatic white spirits ( stoddard solvent ) simular to Kero but not kero.
~20% lubricant base grade ( solvent de-waxed, paraffinic type )
10% of corrosion inhibitor ( some formulations use 2 inhibitors, normally they would only be present at low concentrations, so it's possible that the inhibitor could be something crude like an oil that produces a hard film with synthetic additives ) Parafins most likely
5% of wetting agent ( probably quite low concentration, other the formulation would emulsify some water which could affect theprotective film's durability and performance )
<5% of fragrance.

A street bike chain with or without sticky lube, any kind of lube, will gather fine particles of sand, salt, minerals, glass and metals from the road. So it's best to clean it and your sprockets. roller links and pin links should be cleaned of that grit paste. this grit is the stuff that can wear, cut and loosen o-rings.

holds cup up for FIM photographer

Old 10-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #17
bondo
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro_Duke View Post
And you sent a dirty bike pic because????
because it's an example of why a few specs of sand on your street bike chain is not going to hurt it.

WD40 has sillycone, not silicone. Sillycone is the name I use for it because it works like silicone. Before a good mud ride, I'll spray the bike down with it so mud doesn't stick as well. Same is true for the chain.

It also is good for the chain after a wet ride (road or dirt) to get rid of the water and protect the metal.... and a rag does the same thing as the swirly brush.

let me get back to waxing my shock spring and lubing my muffler bearings.

specs vs penny vs kenny
Old 10-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #18
Toro_Duke
Learner's Permit

Default specs vs penny vs kenny

[QUOTE=bondo;91769]because it's an example of why a few specs of sand on your street bike chain is not going to hurt it.

a few specs? lmao

Old 10-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
because it's an example of why a few specs of sand on your street bike chain is not going to hurt it.

WD40 has sillycone, not silicone. Sillycone is the name I use for it because it works like silicone. Before a good mud ride, I'll spray the bike down with it so mud doesn't stick as well. Same is true for the chain.

It also is good for the chain after a wet ride (road or dirt) to get rid of the water and protect the metal.... and a rag does the same thing as the swirly brush.

let me get back to waxing my shock spring and lubing my muffler bearings.
Dontr forget to change your blinker fluid too

Tom

Blinker fluid
Old 10-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #20
Toro_Duke
Learner's Permit

Default Blinker fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Dontr forget to change your blinker fluid too

Tom

Now that thar's funny....I don't care who you y'ar !!