Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

01 F4i too old for track?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to ImmaSquashYou
Default 01 F4i too old for track?

Ok, so i have a dilemma because can't decide what bike to keep. I tracked the F4i last month and had a great time. But i know the bike is coming up to be almost 10 years old.

I've had my f4i since 3300 miles, (was downed and rashed by the previous owner but stil ran great). Rode it like this for hte past 22k miles and haven't had a problem. i just got race fairings for the bike and plan to use it for mainly track. The bike now has around 22k and i've had it for around 5 years. I have not done any real maintenance besides oil change, fluids, pads, tires, chain and sprocket, air filter, and cctl etc. (nothing major). I believe that i will need to rebuild the forks and get the valves adjusted soon? That should be a pretty penny which made me look into a new bike.

I just picked up an 06 gsxr 600 with 6k miles. I'm not sure if i really like it. Now, is it a correct choice to sell the f4i and keep the 06 gsxr? Or sell the 06 gsxr, and track the f4i. Or sell the 06 gsxr, use the f4i for track till i find another bike? I don't have money to keep both. I know i can get a track only bike for a decent price, but i still want street fairings to ride on the street once in a blue moon. i don't want to spend so much money on a bike that i might crash in (which is making me feel like i should use the F4i and not do any of the maintenance??). The 06 gsxr 600 is a nice bike but i'm afraid that it'll be a waste of money if i crash.

I really like how the F4i rides and felt weird turning the gsxr a little. Is this because i'm just not used to the bike? I've been really debating on what to do and i really can't figure it out. If you guys can give your input, it'll be great. What would you guys do? Should i keep the f4i cause i'll prob trash the new gsxr and be upset cause i could of just trashed the f4i and saved me money?? Hope i don't trash the gsxr cause financially it makes sense to sell the f4i cause of the age and miles? Just use the f4i and track it till for another year and THEN sell it?

Last edited by ImmaSquashYou; 05-10-2010 at 03:19 AM..

Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

the bike in general is old, but if you maintain it, it will last for a long time. as for the forks, send IrocRob a PM, he can help you with that. But theres a sweet killer of a deal on WERA for a gsxr600..

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=253113

there are also newer bikes for sale on there too, so the choice is entirely yours on what you want to do. But just keep in mind, for newer bikes, parts are so much easier to find at the track in case of a get off.

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the

Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
CBRBob
A 37 Production

age and miles? Geez. I know of a 91 600F2 on the track with over 75K on it. I take it out now and then too LOL
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
age and miles? Geez. I know of a 91 600F2 on the track with over 75K on it. I take it out now and then too LOL
the f4i is an 01 with around 22k on it. But i have been considering that since the f4i is not as agressive, i'll prob need to get new rearsets and as well as a steering stabilzer. The gsxr comes with a stock one (not as great as an aftermarket), but still something there for now. I still can't decide on what to do and its been driving me crazy.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John712 View Post
the bike in general is old, but if you maintain it, it will last for a long time. as for the forks, send IrocRob a PM, he can help you with that. But theres a sweet killer of a deal on WERA for a gsxr600..

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=253113

there are also newer bikes for sale on there too, so the choice is entirely yours on what you want to do. But just keep in mind, for newer bikes, parts are so much easier to find at the track in case of a get off.
-= \. great, after i purchased one on this past wed. ::sigh::

Old 05-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

The F4i won bike of the year so many times, but for a dedicated track bike you will find it has it's limits.
The clip on's are hard to mount under the tripples, and it is super hard to find used race parts for them because no one really raced them.. The Suzuki on the other hand, is a much better choice for track days just based on the huge amount of used race parts available all over the place.

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Last edited by carl_g; 05-10-2010 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ism409 View Post
The F4i won bike of the year so many times, but for a dedicated track bike you will find it has it's limits.
The clip on's are hard to mount under the tripples, and it is super hard to find used race parts for them because no one really raced them.. The Suzuki on the other hand, is a much better choice for track days just based on the huge amount of used race parts available all over the place.
yea, i'm gearing more towards of replacing the f4i. Now to the question of what to replace it with. I'm always a honda guy and was about to pickup an 07 600rr for 4200 with 12k. Track plastics only with stock exhaust. No stock parts (i.e., headlights, tail, oem fairings) A decent deal for just a track bike. But i figured i'd at least want the option to ride on the street so i know i would of spent around $800 to be able to bring the bike back to street legal.

but the 06 gsxr i just picked up was a decent price (which was why i picked it up). It's white and silver with 6k on the odometer. Fairings were scratched a lil, but no biggy and a 3/4 yoshi exhaust. Prob be able to sell it for a small profit. But i'm not sure if i'm 100% happy with the bike. Tires are shot so i'm not sure if thats why it felt weird when i was trying to turn the gsxr (could be the stabilizer). Rode my buddies 07 600rr and didn't feel like that with his steering stabilizer. Am i being too picky and being biased about not getting a honda again? My guess is that you guys have a preference on what bikes to ride. Do you guys stick with the same brand of bikes?

Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

soo..i think i decided on what to do. Sell both bikes and buy a cheaper newer one strictly for track. I won't be too upset if and when i crash.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Ok, stop thinking about 'when you are going to crash'. Think about if you are going to enjoy the bike when you ride it.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

Quote:
Ok, stop thinking about 'when you are going to crash'. Think about if you are going to enjoy the bike when you ride it.

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Quote:
well said. My g/f just said to me the other night "i've never seen you like this" and i'm like what? so indecisive? and she was like "no, saying that you're going to crash. Never heard that for the past 4-5 years"

But i think i'm gonna have more fun on a cbr600rr. Rode the gsxr yesterday after i filled the tires properly (that was the problem why it felt weird) and it felt pretty light but i guess i'm just being biased. I didn't realize that its shorter than the rest of the 600s until my friend pointed it out and told me that it was the most comfortable of them all.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
lateapex
Skid Mark

I've been chasing a guy on a F4, not a F4i, for years (on my 99 R6) and there are only a few riders that we couldn't keep up with.

The F4i is just fine. It's not the bike, it's the rider.
Team Pro-Motion Coach #929

"It's so much better goin' nowhere fast"

Stickers: See Chris at http://www.drippinwet.com