Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Market Place - Salvage Yard > Classifieds > Non Bike Items
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

WTB: Fender Strat or Tele
Old 08-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Default WTB: Fender Strat or Tele

I'm looking for either a strat or a telecaster, mexican or japanese. I've only had les pauls before and I'm looking to pick up a low level strat/tele. I know some people play on here so I thought I'd put it out there.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 08-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
causef0rconcern
Up On One

Send a message via AIM to causef0rconcern

I'm actually in the market too. Can't decide what the hell I want though. Good luck man.

'00 Suzuki GSX-R 750: Lonely in NJ.
'92 Honda VFR750 streetfighter: 500lbs of all weather, curb hopping, apocalypse-ready, pothole-eating urban assault device

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE MOTORIZED

Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
jcblitz

I'm thinking of just getting a squire from guitar center and beating the piss out of it. I've played one next to a $800 american model and couldn't tell the difference besides the weight. I've never been a fan of the clean sounding fenders, they are too twanging for me, but some of the overdriven blues stuff I've been listening to lately sounds great on them. Not that I'm some awesome guitar player or anything, but I just started playing again after a 6 year break and can't get a close enough sound out of my epi les paul.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 08-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
EvilSteve
I are not David Hicks

Depends so much on your amp setup though, that awesome dirty blues sound.

I have an Ibanez Universe, one guitar, so nothing to offer I'm afraid.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
causef0rconcern
Up On One

I've been realizing lately that you really need the total setup for the awesome sound. I've been playing my 1973 Gibson L6-S out of crappy amps, so it sounded crappy. But plug that bad bitch into a Silvertone and forget about it.

I have a Mexican Squire Double Fat Strat that is surprisingly a really nice guitar. I wouldn't go for the baseline Squire Strats, they don't handle so nicely. But move up a notch or two up the Squire and they aren't bad for a $200 guitar.

'92 Honda VFR750 streetfighter: 500lbs of all weather, curb hopping, apocalypse-ready, pothole-eating urban assault device

Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
jcblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSteve View Post
Depends so much on your amp setup though, that awesome dirty blues sound.

I have an Ibanez Universe, one guitar, so nothing to offer I'm afraid.
I traded in my old amp for a Vox AD15VT two days ago. My other amp was 65 watts and way too loud for my apartment. This way I can overdrive it without getting a letter from the landlord...again. It sounds great and the built in models are all nice. I played both a LP and a strat on it in the store before I bought it. They both sounded good, but different.

I like ibanez guitars (especially their semi-hollows) but for some reason I can't play them for shit. Isn't the Universe the 7 string one?

Minarchism

Old 08-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
RCM78
Tech Nazi

You cant go wrong with a mexican strat. They are almost as good as the americans. Some people even prefer them. The only difference is the hardware. The bodies and necks are the same as USA guitars.

Id say go for the strat over the tele. They're just more versatile.

I've been playing for 22 years and have had many guitars and amps over the years.

Right now my collection includes 8 guitars:
Peavey Wolfgang ST
50th ann. Fender American series Strat
Kramer Stagemaster
Kramer st600
2 USA Hamer Chaparrals
USA Hamer Diablo
Yammy Acoustic

For amps I have:
5150 2X12 Combo
Fender Blues JR
Soldano Astroverb head

My newest toy is a Line 6 POD XT Live
TPM Coach #71

Old 08-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
jcblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
You cant go wrong with a mexican strat. They are almost as good as the americans. Some people even prefer them. The only difference is the hardware. The bodies and necks are the same as USA guitars.

Id say go for the strat over the tele. They're just more versatile.

I've been playing for 22 years and have had many guitars and amps over the years.

Right now my collection includes 8 guitars:
Peavey Wolfgang ST
50th ann. Fender American series Strat
Kramer Stagemaster
Kramer st600
2 USA Hamer Chaparrals
USA Hamer Diablo
Yammy Acoustic

For amps I have:
5150 2X12 Combo
Fender Blues JR
Soldano Astroverb head

My newest toy is a Line 6 POD XT Live
I bought the line 6 pocket pod a few weeks ago and ended up returning it. 300 effects can't cover up the fact I'm not a good guitar player, so it went back until I'm worthy.

I'm so pissed I stopped playing so long after playing for a few years. I just hit a wall where I wasn't getting any better and lost interest. I'm self taught and basically ran out of ideas on how to improve. This time around I'm going to learn theory though and hopefully that will do the trick. Especially with things like youtube and all these tutorial sites, there is a ton of shit to help.

Minarchism

Old 08-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
jcblitz

I'm now the proud owner of a used mexican strat. There is a guitar center 1/2 a mile down the road from my work and I was browsing their used selection online when I spotted an american strat for $399 which I though was unbelievable so I said "brb" and headed down. I saw it right away and grabbed it. It sounded pretty nice, but it didn't sustain very well, the G had a buzz between the 5th and 7th frets, and it wasn't a standard strat, it had a humbucker and some other switch I've never seen. I also saw a mexican black strat next to it that they didn't have online for $299. I grabbed that bad boy and it was pretty spot on, it sustained much better, the tones were brighter, and no notable buzz. MINE! So now it's sitting in the back of my car begging for me to take a 1/2 day and go home.

Minarchism

Old 08-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
Smokes35
(+2)Bully on the Internets

Send a message via AIM to Smokes35

i played an ESP Eclipse-II the other day... and almost loaded in my pants...

That's the 2nd coolest guitar ever next to the new Randy Rhoads Jackson RR24... 24 fret, single humbucker harmonics MACHINE....

that is if ur a metal/rock head like me...

I love my brothers PRS tho--- if u got the scratch, PRS ALL THE WAY

Old 08-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
EvilSteve
I are not David Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz View Post
I like ibanez guitars (especially their semi-hollows) but for some reason I can't play them for shit. Isn't the Universe the 7 string one?
Yeah, 7 string. It's a bit of a laugh. It's B so just play it like the top B. Once you get used to it, it's actually pretty good. I like the width of the neck too. I've been waiting for Satriani to bring out a 7 string but I guess they're still waiting. He did a whole song on one of his albums called 7 using a 7 string JS model Ibanez but it hasn't been released yet.

If I was going to get another guitar, I'd get a Parker Fly (except that the necks are varnished which I hate because my hand sticks - I'm a sweaty bastard) or a PRS 24 fret fixed bridge. That'd be freaking sweet.

I've had several amps over the years but because I'm a lazy bastard (as well as sweaty it seems), I don't really practice and a little practice amp is all that I really need. I've been thinking about getting something nicer but I'm more interested in spending my money on motorcycles these days.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 PM   #12
Brian78
Bitter Bowler

cool guitars
Team Pro-Motion Coach #300
CCS AM #300

Old 10-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #13
causef0rconcern
Up On One

So I splurged and bought an ESP strat body today. Holy fuckity fucking motherfucking shit IT PLAYS LIKE A GODDAMNED DREAM. kthxbye

Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #14
Smokes35
(+2)Bully on the Internets

Send a message via AIM to Smokes35

Quote:
Originally Posted by causef0rconcern View Post
So I splurged and bought an ESP strat body today. Holy fuckity fucking motherfucking shit IT PLAYS LIKE A GODDAMNED DREAM. kthxbye
I told u ESPs are the shit... great buy dude

Old 10-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
RCM78
Tech Nazi

My Kramer Stagemaster was made by ESP for Kramer. It's essentially an ESP M1. Which is the model that predated the Mirage.

Most if not all the old kramers from the late 80's were made by ESP. They were assembled in NJ so they can get away with the "American" series on the headstock.
TPM Coach #71