Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Any teachers here?
Old 08-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
Mogwai
Squid

Send a message via AIM to Mogwai
Arrow Any teachers here?

Hey, my g/f is trying to get a elementary school teaching position. Are there any teachers on this site. Anyone know if there are any openings as well in central nj? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Looking in Mercer, Monmouth, Middlesex, and Burlington counties mostly. Will consider others if a good position.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Honestly, those are one of the hardest positions to land without knowing someone or having a much needed specialization. Does she have a masters/specialization or just a regular "ElEd" degree? Tell her to start looking for something else to do for this year because schools have more than likely filled all their positions for this coming year.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 08-14-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Hillsborough HS needs a history teacher

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 08-14-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

this isnt a warehouse job, or a small time put together job thats only gonna be in business for 8 years the most. you do not need to know anybody to land a teachers job in any location. dont let them feed that shit into yours or your girlfriends head. put in for all locations or start by calling or going to the Board Of Ed's. they will assist you the most. not a friend that knows a friend or a husband that has a wife working there.

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the

Old 08-14-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by John217
this isnt a warehouse job, or a small time put together job thats only gonna be in business for 8 years the most. you do not need to know anybody to land a teachers job in any location. dont let them feed that shit into yours or your girlfriends head. put in for all locations or start by calling or going to the Board Of Ed's. they will assist you the most. not a friend that knows a friend or a husband that has a wife working there.
You're right, it's not a warehouse job. You need to have a degree and state certified credentials, as well as "class room experience" before you can even get looked at. My wife just went through this for the past 2 years. She is amply qualified with a B.S. in elementary ed, masters in reading, and a 3.7 over all GPA with some awards for programs she's designed to go along with that, and 3 rounds of student teaching. You're going to end up working in the ghetto (or down south like georgia) if you're a first or second year teacher. The market is FLOODED with entry level teachers. She got lucky with her current position that it just happened that one of the board members knew her...but didn't realize it for a while so her resume sat among the other 50 people that applied. Like you said "...put in for all locations...", but so did everyone else. Don't get me wrong, she was hired on her qualifications, but got her foot in the door because she knew someone. With 50 candidates applying, you really need something extraordinary to stand out to get looked at. They went back to kates resume because of her masters in reading and they needed to fill a resource room position.

I don't know how it is in NJ, but in PA applying to be a teacher is nothing like a regular job. You can't just "call up" or go to the board of ed, they won't even talk to you. There are certain channels you MUST go through and that's basically it, they'll contact you if they want you. If you guys are in PA, send me a PM and I'll have her talk to your girl friend. If she didn't actually go through the whole process and fill me in on every step, I would have no idea how really helpless a new teacher is in finding a job. A girl I went to high school with just got her first position after graduating in 02. She was offered ghetto jobs like I mentioned above, but she had the resources to not worry about "sink or swim" after college. Unfortunately kate did not and had to accept a ghetto position, which some of you might have read me rant about on another MC forum, but I'd be happy to rehash that nightmare if anyone is interested.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Last edited by jcblitz; 08-14-2006 at 11:34 PM..

Old 08-15-2006, 08:43 AM   #6
Barbi
Unscheduled Blond Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz
... You're going to end up working in the ghetto (or down south like georgia) if you're a first or second year teacher....
What are you trying to say?

R.I.P. R14cd 6/4/06

Old 08-15-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrc51girl
What are you trying to say?

you guys are hill billies down south

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 08-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #8
Barbi
Unscheduled Blond Moments

why I never!

R.I.P. R14cd 6/4/06

Old 08-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrc51girl
why I never!
\

Hey, I'm not the one that has something against southern Hill Billies

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 08-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #10
RonJ83
Ron 2.0

entry teachers generally start out in a "ghetto" school or special ed dept. the reason for the ghetto schools i cause once a teacher gains experience they are allowed to move on to bigger and better things. the ghetto is a good starting place cause teachers are leaving every year, special ed is the same thing. contrary to popular beliefs that teachers "love" teaching, they still dont want to end up in those 2 places unless they have to. your girlfriend has a better chance at taking a pick at her school if she has her masters or supervisior certification, if she just has her bachlors from a community college shes gonna start from the bottom unless she knows people.