Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 08-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #16
CuCullin
MCSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
I can definitely see the stopm grip being uncomfortable if you're wearing jeans.
How so?

EDIT

Bobby, most riders do not wear full leathers all the time. Also, I've seen many a rider go down in full leathers, with some very gruesome results. Gear is not a signal of riding ability, be it too much or too little. You may have been riding almost as long as I've been alive, but I also have many years as a firefighter, and years riding dirt before street, as well as cars on a track (down in TN mostly... much more fun there). That said, people are getting a bug up their ass about you because every single post you talk about full gear, and anyone not being a squid. To be honest, right now I wouldn't feel comfortable riding with you. Time riding and skills relative to riding are also two different things, and I'm really not sure where you land there - gear is meaningless to me. I'm comfortable with others based on how they ride, not how they look while riding.

Last edited by CuCullin; 08-10-2006 at 04:39 PM..

Old 08-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #17
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin
How so?
Because its not a flat smooth surface...take the underside of those rubber runners that people used to put on their rug in the 70's, cut a piece out and stick it to your tank...stompgrip isn't as sharp as that, but you get the idea.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #18
CuCullin
MCSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
Because its not a flat smooth surface...take the underside of those rubber runners that people used to put on their rug in the 70's, cut a piece out and stick it to your tank...stompgrip isn't as sharp as that, but you get the idea.
Gotcha. I thought maybe it was a norty rubbing feeling, that might result in something looking like carpet-burn.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #19
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Quote:
How so?

EDIT

Bobby, most riders do not wear full leathers all the time. Also, I've seen many a rider go down in full leathers, with some very gruesome results. Gear is not a signal of riding ability, be it too much or too little. You may have been riding almost as long as I've been alive, but I also have many years as a firefighter, and years riding dirt before street, as well as cars on a track (down in TN mostly... much more fun there). That said, people are getting a bug up their ass about you because every single post you talk about full gear, and anyone not being a squid. To be honest, right now I wouldn't feel comfortable riding with you. Time riding and skills relative to riding are also two different things, and I'm really not sure where you land there - gear is meaningless to me. I'm comfortable with others based on how they ride, not how they look while riding.

Going OT for just another second. I totally agree here. Not that Bobby is giving me a bug up my ass I'm just trying to understand his viewpoints. You have to remember to Leathers are $$$ and some people can't even afford just the payments for Insurance and Reg. on their bike. Im sure someone will say gear before bike but its just not logical. Its smart, but not logical.

Back on topic, never really tried stomp grips, probably will never either. If GP guys don't need em, neither do I

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 08-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #20
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Gotcha. I thought maybe it was a norty rubbing feeling, that might result in something looking like carpet-burn.
The stomp grip does rub on the leather, its even starting to skuff my leathers a tad. Really can't feel it though because of the thicknes of the leathers and the hard knee armor(not the puck). It really works great though, keeping you back under heavy braking. Come to think of it, jeans might slide forward on it a little.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #21
Wishes
Squid

Send a message via AIM to Wishes Send a message via Yahoo to Wishes

I have stompgrip on my R6 and it's been a help! I like the fact that I don't slide around the tank as easily as I used to especially when it's raining.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #22
Bobby
Squid

Quote:
How so?

EDIT

Most of what I said is based on the crap that I've been hearing from RAC and some others on the R6 board.

I have in no way said that leathers will prevent any injuries or is the magic pill that will save you from your own stupidity. It will protect you from lots of minor injuries and can mean the difference between getting up and brushing off some gravel and dirt or getting a ride to a hospital.

I started on dirt bikes too. And I was a track rat when I had my M3 in CA. I don't talk about this on every post but the subject does come up often and I voice my opinions. That's why I started a seperate thread but RAC came here to just start up with me rather than contribute to the topic.

At this point, I don't care if you don't ride with me. In fact, I'm pretty much done going on rides with people I don't know. I'm just getting sick of argueing about this with everyone and putting myself in danger. That's why I asked when I first joined this board about ride rules. I've been on enough where assclowns thought it was ok to pass on my left and right in my lane and just do stupid shit in general.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #23
IrocRob
Throttle Lock

I have them on my '03 GSX-R1000 which I use for both
street riding and track days, and I like them just fine.
Doesn't matter if I'm in full gear or just jeans, they are not uncomfortable.

...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Maximum Speed...

Old 08-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #24
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
I've been on enough where assclowns thought it was ok to pass on my left and right in my lane and just do stupid shit in general.

Thats why you joined this board, b/c people don't do that

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 08-10-2006, 05:26 PM   #25
CBRBob
A 37 Production

I never used them and find no need for them.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 08-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #26
Mack
Washes njf4i's Back With a Pink Loofa

Send a message via AIM to Mack

stomp grip...don't use them really don't feel the need although my tank is shaped very different from others and I get good grip.

as far as the gear conversation everyone should just shut up about it. It's a persons choose to wear leathers and gear on the street. I'm going to buy another bike for the street and I'm going to ride in without gear sometimes. Oh well my arms my legs my skin so everyone that is bitch about gear can go fuck off it's my body. JUST LIKE I'M NOT GOING TO WEAR A SEAT BELT SOMETIME WHILE I DRIVE.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #27
Mack
Washes njf4i's Back With a Pink Loofa

Send a message via AIM to Mack

so fuck the government too

Old 08-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #28
RAC
Back It In

Quote:
Most of what I said is based on the crap that I've been hearing from RAC and some others on the R6 board.

I have in no way said that leathers will prevent any injuries or is the magic pill that will save you from your own stupidity. It will protect you from lots of minor injuries and can mean the difference between getting up and brushing off some gravel and dirt or getting a ride to a hospital.

I started on dirt bikes too. And I was a track rat when I had my M3 in CA. I don't talk about this on every post but the subject does come up often and I voice my opinions. That's why I started a seperate thread but RAC came here to just start up with me rather than contribute to the topic.

At this point, I don't care if you don't ride with me. In fact, I'm pretty much done going on rides with people I don't know. I'm just getting sick of argueing about this with everyone and putting myself in danger. That's why I asked when I first joined this board about ride rules. I've been on enough where assclowns thought it was ok to pass on my left and right in my lane and just do stupid shit in general.
Dude I'm not on any other site than this, so I have no clue what you are talking about. I have no hair up my ass about you either. I was just making a simple observation and asking a question, because you always seem to get into this whole if you don't wear gear you don't know how to ride lecture in JUST ABOUT every one of your posts.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #29
CuCullin
MCSE

Bobby, relax yourself.

First, lets clear something up.

Quote:
I have in no way said that leathers will prevent any injuries or is the magic pill that will save you from your own stupidity.
However to quote you in only this very thread....

Quote:
I don't have a problem with them. I just don't like riding with them. If they don't care enough to protect themselves, what's to stop them from endangering my life as well?
Quote:
I've been on rides where guys have gotten seriously hurt because they didn't wear full gear and it ruined everyone's day, not just his. I prefer not to put myself in that situation again. It's my choice.
Quote:
More often than not, the guys wearing little or no gear is going to do something stupid.
Quote:
All the squids started bitching and moaning so I said fuck it and backed out of the ride.
Quote:
This is one of the reasons I'm thinking about selling the R6 and buying something that doesn't attract too many idiots, maybe a fuckin' Volvo. Again, my choice.
So, reread that. You've come in here on attack from the get-go. You even commented on my riding wearing jeans, as if its no different than shorts. I told you a bit about myself above because I'm fairly sure I've seen more accidents than most people on this board (save a scarce few), I've taken more driving classes than police are required to take (CEVO 1 & 2), so on. I'm quite knowledgable about the risks on the road, and I will not endanger myself. And yet, based on how you come across in every post, I'm a squid. See how you might be pissing people off?

Quote:
It will protect you from lots of minor injuries and can mean the difference between getting up and brushing off some gravel and dirt or getting a ride to a hospital.
So will knowing how to ride, as well as jeans. Wearing jeans instead of full leathers doesn't make a squid, it makes a different rider than you.

Quote:
So don't. But stop equating people who don't ride in full body armor, 7 layers of leathers, knee-high boots, 4 pairs of gloves, so on, with "assclowns" who will "put [you] in danger".

Relax yourself. Stop attacking every chance you get. Noone here is riled up but you. I'm sure theres far better riders than you that wear less gear, and better riders than me that wear more. Point is, gear does not a rider make. So get over it.

Last edited by CuCullin; 08-10-2006 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #30
RAC
Back It In

Well said CuCullin. DSH sorry for fucking up your thread man. I was just making an observation and I didn't think it would get this much attention. Obviously others feel the same about some of the comments as I do.