Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > The Garage - Tech Talk > Two Smokes
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

RS250 questions
Old 10-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Default RS250 questions

Hello folks
toying with the idea of picking up a used Aprilia RS250 track bike. Can anyone shed some insight as to what I am getting myself into with owning one. I keep hearing about having to rebuild top ends and bottom ends on these bikes. What's the realistic period between tear-downs and rebuilds? What's the usual cost involved with regard to rebuilding and parts? How hard are these bikes to work on? How hard are engine parts to get for these now that they are no longer a retail sale bike here in the US?
I am mechanically experienced, just have no time on two strokes.
thanks
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 10-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

ism409(Carl) and motopix(Jeff) are the gurus.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

rebuilding engines seems to be a trait for 2 strokes in general... my dad had to do it on his ultralights, most of which had rotax 2 strokes of some sorts i believe...

Old 10-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
Mack
Washes njf4i's Back With a Pink Loofa

Send a message via AIM to Mack

go to www.apriliaforum.com/forums

they know about everything you could want to know. It's sponced by AF1 racing a huge aprilia dealer in TX. Do a search and you should find out everything you want to know about the RS250

Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

The RS250 is a fun bike. Comming from a tl or rc-51 it will feel like riding a mini bike. It weighs somewhere around 300 lbs. and it only has like 60-65 HP. You can't really get much more then that out of the motor with out blowing it up. As far as maintaining it.. it is pretty simple as far as 2-stokes go. Keep in mind that this was a streetbike in Europe and is not a true GP bike, ie: TZ250, Honda RS250. Compared to those bikes it is pretty much gas and go.
Top ends(piston, rings, circlips, wristpin bearings, head gasket x 2) are reccomend to be replaced every 700-1000 miles of track use. +-$400
Bottom end (Drop in crank) is reccomended every 1500-2000 miles of track use. $500

I had one with just under 3000 miles and it had all original top & bottom end and still ran strong. I recently sold it for $3500. If I were to keep it I would have replaced these parts. It is preventative because a siezure is catastrophic & will cost you a ton of more money. They don't eat tires and the tires are cheaper because it is 160 rear. You will get killed on straits by the people you just passed in the turns. The corner speed that you can carry on these things is scary and the brakes are insane.

They are hard to ride fast and are a ton of work to do so. You have to ring its neck with out over reving it, you only have like a 2.5k or so range in which you need to keep it in, you constanly have to shift and slip the clutch, and there is no engine braking. In saying all this, when you get it all right it is awsome.

Like mac said aprilia forums has a rs250 sub-forum with tons of information. Good Luck!

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 10-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Thanks for the information, I am also toying with the black/orange KTM paint scheme should I get one...Love that color combination.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 10-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
motopix

Late to the party as usual but here's my 2 cents.

Consider getting a used Honda RS125. Tons of fun, easy on tires and about a third of the maintenance costs of a TZ or Honda RS250. The GP bikes are much easier to work on than an Aprilia but the Aprilia's are pretty easy too.

ISM gave you the recommended intervals for racers but many people have gone well beyond those limits for trackday-only Aprilias and been fine. But, like he said a seizure could cost you alot more in the long run.

Not knowing anything about your size, mechanical ability or budget, I would recommend getting a Honda RS125 or a Yamaha TZ250. A 125 will be faster than the Aprilia and the TZ250 is way, way faster than the Aprilia.

Having said that, the best way I can sum it up: the Aprilia provides about 80% of the fun of a GP bike and can be relatively turnkey, 2 stroke fun. They seem to hold their value fairly well.

Parts for the Aprilia are not as easy to get as for the GP bikes but most things are pretty available except Aprilia cranks come and go on the market so you might need to plan ahead if you're gonna replace one and order it early.

Expect to pay $3500-$5000 for an Aprilia depending on condition and spares.
Apriliaforum.com as has already been said and for GP bikes:
www.tz250racing.com
www.usgpru.net
www.fatbaq.com
www.wera.com - they have a 2 stroke forum

Recently rebuilt from the ground-up TZ250:

New addition: 125 next to a GSXR750:

Last edited by motopix; 10-21-2006 at 05:28 PM..

Old 10-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

got one coming, a TZ250
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

Old 10-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
motopix

Excellent!! Appears to be a '95 or '95. Give up some details man.

And what made you decide on the TZ versus the Aprilia?

edit: found the ad on tz250racing. Cool.

Last edited by motopix; 10-22-2006 at 01:48 PM..

Old 10-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

She's a 95 TZ250, looks to be a really nice bike, well kept and lots of spares. Looking for pistons now, the only real spares item I need to have on hand. I have 4 extra cylinders, 4 heads, two sets of bodywork as well as other parts coming from the previous owner. I also have a rebuildable crankshaft coming with the bike too. I may have it sent out over the winter and have it ready to go in the event I need it.
I am looking forward to riding this next year.
Second set of bodywork

spares

more

2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

Old 10-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #11
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

When the bike arrives, I would like to get in touch with you and get some advice about the 250.

Nice 125..
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

Old 10-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #12
motopix

Sure. Hit me up at motopix@mindspring.com or post on here so we can share the experience with other

For parts, I use Steve Rising Sun now. He's got a pretty good online system so that if you have part numbers just plug them in. Rick at Accu-products has alot of parts and knowledge but don't count on getting anything quickly and you have to keep on top of him to get your stuff.

Rick rebuilt my last crank. He does good work and prices are good too. He also sent out my cylinders to Millenium and did the cleanup work to the ports and installed detonation rings.

Not knowing what you got, you need a leakdown tester and a deck height/timing gauge setup, also get a rotor puller and rotor/clutch holder. These are must have items.

Typical fuel oil you see most often are VP C12 and Motul 800 2t at 28-30:1. An accu-mix jug from Rick comes in handy. I usually mix a batch and put it in a 5 gallon jug to use at the track so I don't have to bother mixing there. If you decided to go with Castrol A747 oil then you'll need to mix trackside and use what you mix within a week or two.

There are other oil/fuel choices that work just as well. I just stick to what I know and has worked for me.

edit: Do you know what size pistons you need? The previous owner can probably let you know.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Thanks for the information. I will get in touch when the bike arrives and pick your brain some more.
Should be a fun bike.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

Old 10-23-2006, 05:07 PM   #14
motopix

What made you decide to get a TZ instead of an Aprilia?

Old 10-23-2006, 05:53 PM   #15
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

I had the itch to ride a 2 stroke ever since seeing the RS250 TPM had 3 years ago. Since then I always thought I might someday own one and I had been recently looking at the Aprilias. I just happend to be keeping my eye open for a clean TZ as well when I saw that they too were available for reasonable prices. When I saw that TZ , I knew that would be my next bike. Looks great and apparently well cared for.
I thought for the maintenance involved with both machines, why not get a bike that's 80-90 pounds lighter and also sports 15-20 more HP than the Aprilia. The maintenance on the TZ is definitely higher, but I think it may be worth the effort in having something that might be a thrill to ride.
Best bang for the buck at roughly $1500 more. I know the teardowns will be more frequent, but I never went after anything half way.
I guess I am neck deep into this bike and it still hasn't arrived yet.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

Last edited by NYCSTRIPES; 10-23-2006 at 05:56 PM..