Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Linux Guys...
Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Default Linux Guys...

My roommate just went on an interview for an IT support job where he will have to support Linux. However, he has no experience with it. I just wanted to ask a couple questions:

1) Will he be able to get himself up to speed quickly by downloading it and playing with it? Or is it kind of hard?

2) If you know Linux can you post some Easy, Intermediate, and Advanced Problems or issues he may come across just to test his knowlede?

Thanks guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 12-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Short answer, no. But I don't know your friend, he might pick up boring, annoying things quickly. I've been using linux on and off (mostly off) for 10 years and after a week or so of screwing with the latest distros at the time, I always come back to "fuck linux".

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 12-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Thanks Jared. I think he's under the impression that he's a quick learner but I would have to think that a whole new OS or whatever it is is going to be tough.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
jcblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Thanks Jared. I think he's under the impression that he's a quick learner but I would have to think that a whole new OS or whatever it is is going to be tough.
It took me 2 days to learn how to use OS X sufficiently. But with linux, I would hit weird dependency issues and things were just plain not working, regardless of the distro. I had a friend that tried to run just Unbuntu at work for his development machine and he gave up after a week. He couldn't get certain things installed and was hitting the same problems I always get, some dependencies just couldn't be resolved correctly and things would just randomly stop working without verbose errors. This isn't a "i hate linux" post, but linux was (and is) a huge pain in the ass and I'm a pretty competent computer user. But hey, some people like reading HOWTO's and manually compiling kernels and building source files to do simple things. But not me, and certainly not for a living.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 12-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

talk to cucclin he is the lynix gury or atleats a windows hater..

Old 12-06-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
jcblitz

See, heres an example. I haven't touched my ubuntu install in a month so I decided to fire it up after posting this...and this is what I get. It's just stuck here.

Minarchism

Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #7
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

Jared, the penguin hates you

Old 12-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

PM Hassmachine.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz View Post
Short answer, no. But I don't know your friend, he might pick up boring, annoying things quickly. I've been using linux on and off (mostly off) for 10 years and after a week or so of screwing with the latest distros at the time, I always come back to "fuck linux".
Hahaha... thats pretty much the same exact boat I am in... Got my first Slackware in Oct 94 (kernel 1.0.9)...

I'ev turned quite a few friends onto it, but can't seem to put myself through the torture of mastering it.

As for your friend Ant, that really depends on a lot of things... Like what kinds of problems he is expected to solve, and how well he picks up new things. Linux is not an easy learn for most people. Unfortunately a lot of my experience in the IT field involves people incapable of working themselves out of a cardboard box without being spoonfed step by step directions, let alone troubleshooting computer problems. if your friend can (and wants to) figure things out on his own he should be ok.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

The easiest way to install and play with with it IMHO is to download the ISOs from redhat dot com. There are different flavors out there suse, etc. It depends on whatever the company he's going into is planning to use.

Linux/UNIX isn't to be just picked up in a couple of days unless you're command prompt savy!

One of your best friends should be the command "man" for manual.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #11
sonny
Craigslist Champion

<--- Linux PRO.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #12
FigNewTon
Shredded (Cheddar) Moderator

Ant, as most people have already stated your friend is not going to learn the linux OS overnight. Nor is he going to feel very comfortable performing basic operations for some time. Have him start by learning the file structure. Linux is a flat file OS and although most things are now able to be done through the GUI, depending on the severity of the problem you may only be able to boot with a run level of 3 which is command line only. Also being familiar with the command line will allow for easier remote access to linux machines through ssh. He will also he will want to become familiar with the VI editor.

As for distros....Personal I am a Fedora Core fan but there are easier distros out there.

I have a pretty decent Linux tutorial that is designed to prep for the Linux+ certification. PM me and I will send you a copy of it.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
CuCullin
MCSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz View Post
See, heres an example. I haven't touched my ubuntu install in a month so I decided to fire it up after posting this...and this is what I get. It's just stuck here.

Well first, its because you're using Ubuntu - atleast get a real desktop, ie: KDE

Ant, theres ALOT to deal with in Linux. I have not used windows at home in *years*, and I'm quite happily getting all my stuff done in KDE. However, I began with linux around 1994.

Can he learn enough to get a good intro to it in a few days? Yes.

Will he be able to do more than the basics? Doubtful.

If he is going to be supporting Linux from an admin standpoint, he should be familiar with the various scripting languages out there (perl, python, some bash scripting), some programming (primarily C++ with KDE, C for kernel modules, C with an ugly gui would be gtk/GNOME), etc.

It also heavily depends on what kind of Linux box he'd be supporting - if its servers, it may be anything from Slackware (complicated, but simple once you get it) to Debian (stable as balls, but always behind) to Red Hat (Easily managed using Red Hat's administrative tools, but RPM is a shitty pain in the ass package format, and GNOME is ugly ). Also, I've met some management types that refer to Solaris, the BSD's, and even AIX as "Linux" because they don't know the difference. In serverland, the BSD's are very nice to administer, I'm personally not a Solaris fan, but they are all quite popular.

If they are using it on the desktop (as a number of companies are doing this now), there are an assload of tools that come into play. Often times a server will be set up in house to handle package management, where the desktops check this in-house package repository for security and application updates so that they can be tested locally. The nice thing is, if the machines use PXE, it is EXTREMELY easy to install Linux on a shitload of desktops. Create once, install everywhere - a work of beauty.

The problems depend on how they are using Linux. It could be as a webserver, in which case problems can arise from php scripts not working properly (such as an older version of php is being used, or perhaps apache needs to be upgraded to a more recent release to make use of it); it could be a CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) server handling all the print jobs in the building over ipp, where the CUPS server going down halts printing; it could be alot of things.

There are tons of questions I could ask - just find out what they are using Linux for, and I could create a friggin test

EDIT

Jared, are you using Ubuntu on a mac?

Thats the only time I've ever seen it fail like that. PS: Macs also suck.

Last edited by CuCullin; 12-07-2006 at 02:57 PM..

Old 12-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #14
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Gentlemen, thank you for your help. I am going to forward this to him. I really do appreciate this.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-07-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

This was the interview... I know it!