Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

liter bikes
Old 06-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Question liter bikes

When do you know that you're ready for one?

I know I'm not ready for one. Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one?

I'm in love with the R1. Not because of its power, but its freakish good looks.

Is it all about the choice of getting on a bullet?

Old 06-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
Mach1
Short Shifter

I just can't see a reason of going any higher than a 750? Even with that when will you the the total output of these bike??? Unless your on a track. And even with that 600 are sick wit it. A 600 I feel has exellent pwr and liight weight. But yeah I understand exactly what your talking about, The R1 is that sickest most freakish looking bike out there! But DAM SO IS THEIR 600! My next bike is gonna be the R6.

This is my Bike, There are many like it, But this one is mine, My Bike is my Best Friend, It is my Life, I must master it as I must Master My Life, With out Me my Bike is Useless, With out my Bike I am Useless, I must Ride Better than the Idiots on the Road who are trying to Kill Me!, I must Pass Him before He Kills Me!, I WILL, Before God I Swear this Creed! SO BE IT!

Old 06-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

i got mine bc it's the bike i fell in love with it when i was first introduced to sportbikes. my friend had a chromed out 2001 R1 with all the trimmings, complete with flames that would shoot out the pipe. i was such a squid.. well, still am. hehe. but seriously, the bike's capabilities far outweigh my riding abilities and i think that helps in times when i make mistakes - like going into a turn to hot and the bike handles it w/ no problems...it just scares the crap out of me and the bike is probably like - is that all you got?!? but these days, as i become more interested in going to the track, a nice 600 would've been nice. the power difference from my previous bike was simply amazing. before, I had a 96 F3, regeared, full exhaust. The R1 accelerates faster in 3rd gear at 3-4k rpm than the 96F3 did in first gear full throttle! i think these days, liter bikes are just so damn fast that any bike will do for most riders.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 06-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

When do you know that you're ready for one? For the street, never.

Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one? No

Is it all about the choice of getting on a bullet? Of course

600's have many advantages on the street; they're lighter, less fuel consumption, cheaper insurance rates, easier on rear tires & other components, more forgiving on power delivery to the rear tire, overall easier handling, aren't overkill for the street.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 06-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1
I just can't see a reason of going any higher than a 750? Even with that when will you the the total output of these bike??? Unless your on a track. And even with that 600 are sick wit it. A 600 I feel has exellent pwr and liight weight. But yeah I understand exactly what your talking about, The R1 is that sickest most freakish looking bike out there! But DAM SO IS THEIR 600! My next bike is gonna be the R6.
The R6 is a sick trackbike!

2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 06-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

A liter bike isn't "the next step". If you want a bike to ride the hell out of, 600's are great But if you want to go to bike nights and brag about going 225 on straight aways or feel the need to snicker at people with 600's, then yea, you're ready for a giXXXr or a R1.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 06-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
When do you know that you're ready for one? For the street, never. I have to disagree ron.....

Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one? No

Is it all about the choice of getting on a bullet? Of course

600's have many advantages on the street; they're lighter, less fuel consumption, cheaper insurance rates, easier on rear tires & other components, more forgiving on power delivery to the rear tire, overall easier handling, aren't overkill for the street.
Are we discriminating against the 2-up riders here??? When riding 2 up the extra CC's are very much welcome. I myself went through many transitions.

200 cc
400 cc
550 cc
750 cc

[Today 07:41 PM] John217: wait till next season when i BLOW YOU ALL!

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Micron Scorched Titanium Slip-On
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
Dr X Kit X-treme Undertail
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Pazzo Shorties - black/gold
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Last edited by JimRBlue; 06-02-2006 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1
My next bike is gonna be the R6.
You'll probably end up changing out the sprockets on that to give it a bit more pull in the midrange to compensate for what you're used to on the Ninja.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 06-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
opinion914
White Group Rulez!

I think for the street, its more fun having the torque of a literbike, the 600's require shifting more often and running higher rpms. On the track its the opposite, give me a 600 anyday. The flickability and the fact that you can be a bit more aggressive w/ the throttle make for a less hair-raising day....for me anyway....

Old 06-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz
A liter bike isn't "the next step". If you want a bike to ride the hell out of, 600's are great But if you want to go to bike nights and brag about going 225 on straight aways or feel the need to snicker at people with 600's, then yea, you're ready for a giXXXr or a R1.
or the kawa zx 14.. go so fast, you can travel through time!

2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 06-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #11
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Well, from someone who has actually ridden both on the street, on the track, and made lots of wheelies on both, the liter bikes are fun on the street, scary on the track. Really, they are more relaxed on the street then a 600 and they make MUCH better wheelies stock. I could bounce my Gixxer 1000 up at 100mph in 4th. They are a ton harder to ride though. If you're riding a lot of track, get a 600. If you are cruising on the street, can afford the insurance, and like wheelies, get the 1000. Just be careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 06-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #12
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

ita boaut how you rife... shit if i woudl think liek you than i aint ready for anythign more than a vespa.. i started on a 900duc.than got a 600 when all thepeopel were sayign start on 250.. i am on a 750 now just cause i got a recockulous deal on it.. i ride an r1 on occasion.. its all bout how much u twist the wrist.. ohyeah and if you can pay the insurance premium...

get what you want..

Old 06-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #13
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRBlue
When riding 2 up the extra CC's are very much welcome.
Very true my friend, but your bike is also designed for that purpose. It's extra weight and detuned motor provide the perfect bike for that situation. I can't relate to that cuz I always disliked riding two-up, my bike never felt right during those times being it was only set up for me.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 06-02-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
Very true my friend, but your bike is also designed for that purpose. It's extra weight and detuned motor provide the perfect bike for that situation. I can't relate to that cuz I always disliked riding two-up, my bike never felt right during those times being it was only set up for me.
But when the 2nd person is gone... HEHEHE... the extra CC's are even more fun! LOL. I hear ya ron. The weight and the power is def. something you need to respect. The extra pounds can both hurt and help you. and you know Im dying to ride a lighter bike. After so many miles of tossing a heavy bike around its that much more effortless when you get on something lighter.

[Today 07:41 PM] John217: wait till next season when i BLOW YOU ALL!

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Micron Scorched Titanium Slip-On
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
Dr X Kit X-treme Undertail
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Pazzo Shorties - black/gold
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Old 06-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
5wytchBh4kk
Short Shifter

since sportbikes are engineered to race, not drive around the street, all the new 1k superbikes are victims of the numbers game between the big four manufacturers. they make insane power in the top end which you will never use on the street, and have nothing on the bottom. i'd say 03 was the last year that any 1k made any kind of torque on the low end, which is beneficial on the street for passing and acceleration. now they all have similar curves to 600s. just more power in the same rpm ranges. for the street i vote for a 1k twin, like an sv, tl or rc. you have the displacement, torque, acceleration, passing power, but not much up top to get out of hand. for the track, 600cc 4 cyl.