Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Targeted by the Cops as a Motorcyclist?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Default Targeted by the Cops as a Motorcyclist?

So yesterday I got pulled over on Rt. 80 on my way home from riding my bike. Keep in mind this is a BMW R 1200 GS and not a sport bike.

I am cruising along at around an indicated 75mph which is right in the middle of traffic. A little faster than some and a little slower than others. Around mile marker 40 I see a cop in my rearview mirror about 500 ft. behind me. No biggie, I'm not doing anything wrong. He gets up to me and pulls me over.

He tells me ok, well you were making a lot of unsafe lane changes, cutting in between cars. Speed was ok, you were definitely over the limit but I don't have a problem with it. But you can't change lanes like that.

At this point I'm like well, sir, I think I only made 3 lane changes in the past 6 miles or so. I mean I was behind the same Black Acura MDX for the last 5 miles.

He says he's been following me for awhile. Ok I think to myself but I've been on Rt. 80 for literally 20 miles (got on at exit 19) and have made less than 10 lane changes, always used my blinker and never went between cars. In fact, most of my lane changes were to pass on the left and then go back to the middle lane. But I'm not gonna argue with him.

Now he tells me to stay on the bike but I can take my helmet off. I then explain that I think the registration is under the seat. Ok, you can get off the bike. lol At this point he starts questioning me about my Dealer Plates. I then explain that I work for BMW and give him the registration and insurance card. After he sees it's registered to BMW of North America he seems ok with it.

At this point he asks about my license. No sir, no points, in perfect standing. He goes to the car with his partner and I'm standing there thinking, you know, this is really dangerous being on the side of the highway like this. So I move closer to the guardrail because I'm really nervous. I wish he pulled the car at more of an angle to protect us a bit more but whatever.

So he comes back and gives me a written warning for unsafe lane changing. Which in the end is fine and my butt was pretty sore so it was a good rest anyway lol. But I can't help wonder if I was just targeted as a motorcyclist. Especially since 1/4 mile up the road another trooper has 2 other bikes pulled over. Gay.

So be careful out there it seems like they will pull you over for any reason what so ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 08-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

That sux ant! FTP

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 08-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Jimmy
"We got a runner!"

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy

Never heard of a written warning. Is there points involved with that? If so, I'd fight it.

very gay!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Sorry to hear that Ant. Generally written warnings don't count for anything with your insurance, but look into that first.
Sounds like that they're doing something similar to what happened in NYC last year. All the wheelies and stunting in the streets does have a negative impact on everyone. It effects both insurance rates and being on the street.
Sadly Ant, you were being picked on probably to generate a number. Thankfully it was just a warning summons.
I got a written warning for doing 35 in a 30 in Wyoming a few years back, mostly because I had a Colorado plate on my rental. Nothing transferred back to NY.

Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 08-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Jimmy
"We got a runner!"

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES View Post
I got a written warning for doing 35 in a 30 in Wyoming a few years back, mostly because I had a Colorado plate on my rental. Nothing transferred back to NY.
Are you kidding??? Even after showing a badge? That is ridiculous.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Happens to all of us..
Not everyone in the WY State Police is cool like that. Both my brother and I were in the car, both NYC Sergeants. I deserved it though, I was in a town breaking the law doing 35 in a 30....
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Last edited by NYCSTRIPES; 08-17-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES View Post
Happens to all of us..
Not everyone in the WY State Police is cool like that. Both my brother and I were in the car, both NYC Sergeants. I deserved it though, I was in a town breaking the law doing 35 in a 30....
Karens brother got written up in PA by a trooper and hes an LT he gave hi a ton of shit about never coing to NYC though

To

Old 08-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Ripp53
Super Moderator

writing waring don't acount for nothing just as a record to the state police that you where pulled over.before they pull you over they call in your plate and that they r pulling you over. so they have to give you something.they can't just tell you ok you can go at the end of the day they have to show what they did all day so to let you off the hook they write this waring' it's no points or anything it just to acoiunt for what they did.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #9
CORNBREAD
Short Shifter

Throw the warning out the window. Or better yet wipe your asian ass with it. When I was a CO years back I got a few written warnings as well. It's just record that they called it in to HQ that you are being pulled over. It has to be documented once they pull you over.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #10
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Yeah, I already threw it out. The whole thing was BS. FTP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 08-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
sonny
Craigslist Champion

This was "RWA" - Riding While Asian

Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Profiling at its finest, brought to you by the not so better half of the brothers on two wheels. I'd bet that Trooper couldn't even tell the difference between that bike's make/model to another, to them if they don't ride, and it looks anything remotely like a "crotch rocket", then it probably is so they'll go after it and make any excuse to stop it to check it and it's pilot's backgrounds.

It's not wrong to calmly and respectfully retort in your defense to a point, because once their roof lights are activated the digital recording starts rolling in the trunk and if worse comes to worse at least your voice will be on record as to what you were and weren't doing when questioned about it by the Trooper, of course common sense plays a big role when deciding to do this as well but I've never had any issues with voicing my side to the law, they see you're respectful and they'll respect you back for the most part.

Either way it's good he didn't try to dick you over with a bogus summons that could've royally screwed you over for a while.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
RAC
Back It In

i travel 80 every day and as long as I keep it under 80mph they haven't messed with me in on my bike or in the car. You might have come across someone in a bad mood that day....

Old 08-24-2008, 01:39 AM   #14
yb929rr
Skid Mark

written warnings mean absolutly nothing......for the state police they r kept in a file for a year and then thrown away.
and maybe its just the area im working in(rt3 meadowlands) but ive seen about two bike chases in the past week or two.