Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Extreme Lean Angle > Track Days
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

I want an honest answer...............
Old 02-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
SPRHK
Throttle Lock

Post I want an honest answer...............

Judging by the way TPM seems to pop up everywhere on this website, not that it's a bad thing, I would like to hear other peoples take on trackday clubs. I've been a Nesba member for 6 yrs, and been riding with Cornerspeed for about 5 yrs. I haven't had the experience with any other clubs other than those mentioned. Just as an example... if you are going to say TPM is the best, give plausable reasons why. What does the club of your choice have over any other club? I'm looking for "real" reasons,not just because you belong to that particular club.I've been thinking of possibly joining other clubs to help acquire feesable trackdays to coinside with my schedule.
This post is not in any way putting down any trackday club, just looking for honest evaluations of the clubs that you may have ridden with / belong to.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
SPRHK
Throttle Lock

Oh , by the way, you should consider the following when answering this post;
safety
price
safety
track selection
safety
instruction
trackside support (tires services, etc.)
quality of tracks offered
quality of the members( as harsh as it sounds, can you trust the people at you
events not to steal your gear while your on the track?)
Did I mention safety??

Like I said, this isn't to bash any club, just honest answers.........

Feel free to add any other things that make that club of your choice your favorite.

Thanx

Last edited by SPRHK; 02-06-2006 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
CBRBob
A 37 Production

If you are wondering about safety, ask some people here how I make visits to 'offenders' in the pits or how I have pulled people off for rule violations. I am not out to be a prick but if you do something and it is obvious or just plain stupid, I will take immediate action, if it wasnt that bad, they will get a visit in the pits.

Beyond that, TPM feels like a family, no stealing. As for the rest, members......
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 02-06-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Safety is TPM's #1 priority. We are the only club that I know of that own's our own airfence.

Stealing hasnt been a problem. I once left a jacket at the track. Called the office and someone turned it in. Another friend forgot his pitbull stands. He posted on the TPM message board about it and they were also turned in.

Instruction is top notch in my opinion. I learned enough from TPM coach's to become a coach myself two years ago. I can also say theres nothing better then helping out other riders and watching them "get it".

Track selection is pretty damn good. Since your in NJ your very close to pocono, VIR is 8 hours away, Summit is 4 and Beaverun is 6. We should also have lots of dates at thunderbolt raceway here in NJ when that opens up...

Trackside support is awesome. We have a stocked 48 foot multilevel transporter loaded with rental bikes and gear, tires, tire changing services, brakepads, select tool's, helmets, gloves, levers, chains, and lots of other stuff... If you have a popular bike you'll have a better chance of getting common replacement parts but dont expect us to have a rearset for your superhawk. Dont know anyone that would have that in stock...

Any other questions let us know.
Hope to see ya at the track...
TPM Coach #71

Old 02-06-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

I'm a TPM member but have done other days with other orgs. My first track day was hosted by Louden Motorsports at Summit Point Main. Being my first track day, I had no idea what was going on...basically it was an open track day...with different skill level groups and control riders...no special rules other than use your head and don't do anything stupid...I think it was "Don't screw the pootch" to be exact I was lucky enough to of been there with njracer(Brian) who showed me the ropes.
2nd track day was with NESBA(Oct.30th '03)...still trying to get used to the whole "track day" thing. From the begining of the day I knew something was off...I'm very good at noticing certain things and the whole atmosphere just wreeked of conceitedness...starting with tech and the riders meeting...just a bad vibe...then I crashed and was done for the day
From there I went to TPM...and in all honesty I knew I had found a good club...right off the bat everyone was friendly...good vibe at the riders meeting...coaches workin one on one and after the session gave excellent feedback...felt real comfortable and have been with them goin into my 3rd season now...met alot of great people, made some really great friends...
Just recent I also did a couple of track days at Jennings...that was an experience let me tell ya...

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

TPM is a great club, You don't get to many coachs inviting you to their house and helping you out when you need, thanks and you know who you are.

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 02-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #7
Qetesh

I'm going in to my third year riding with TPM. I would never go to another club for these few reasons I will list.

Above all else, safety is #1! That makes me feel extremely comfortable!!! The family atomosphere is unbeatable! Considering that TPM has thousands of members, the staff and coaches know your name!

Rider meetings at every event, usually given by the owner of the club, shows me that not only is he passionate about our sport, but he's involved too!!! Right down to taking members out on 2-up rides to get an idea of the track, to teaching one on one.

Coaching, coaching, coaching!!!! All the TPM coaches go above an beyond what they are required to do! Several make it a point to find you either on the track or in the pits and talk to you, work with you, watch you grow and become a faster, smoother rider! I know there are several coaches that have worked with me faithfully and I am reaping the rewards of their hard work and I will continue to grow and learn from all of their much appreciated teachings!

Trackside trailer with everything from pucks and helmets, to tshirts and hats, to books and oil, tires and mounting, trackside suspension set-ups, and random parts and accessories is gravy and requires time to set up! The air fence is a definate plus as well as the organized atmosphere that TPM strives to uphold and continuously improve on!

In my book, it doesn't get any better then this club, from what they give to what they offer for tracks during thier schedule, down to the impeccable work of the coaches!

I should add that I've only ridden with TPM, but all these things that they offer and all the feedback I get from the club make me completely loyal to them!

Old 02-07-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
SPRHK
Throttle Lock

So far, I only here about TPM, and I hear many good things. Cakes is the only one so far to compare 2 different track clubs. I too, feel the same as Cakes as the whole "Nesba" scene feels concieted. I must admit, other than the few guys that go to the track with me time to time, I feel like quite the loner.
I have nothing but raves for Cornerspeed. Aaron Stevenson runs a top notch school and track day organization. From the first time when I took his riderschool 5yrs ago to thelast time I was there in Nov., I always felt like it was 1 large family, or group of friends. I crashed in turn 1 around lunchtime and I cant count how many people came over to see if I was alright and if there was anything that they could help with.
TPM has has my interest so far, lets see what others have to say.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:02 AM   #9
Qetesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRHK
So far, I only here about TPM, and I hear many good things. Cakes is the only one so far to compare 2 different track clubs. I too, feel the same as Cakes as the whole "Nesba" scene feels concieted. I must admit, other than the few guys that go to the track with me time to time, I feel like quite the loner.
I have nothing but raves for Cornerspeed. Aaron Stevenson runs a top notch school and track day organization. From the first time when I took his riderschool 5yrs ago to thelast time I was there in Nov., I always felt like it was 1 large family, or group of friends. I crashed in turn 1 around lunchtime and I cant count how many people came over to see if I was alright and if there was anything that they could help with.

I interpreted your thread as asking why you like the club your with, not a comparison

Old 02-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #10
HondaGalToo
Burnout

Well, I've ridden with Reduc for 10 years, and they were an awesome "local" club. However, this year they have merged with Sportbiketracktime. More of a closing than a merger from my perspective, but whatever. I could recommend Reduc highly, but they are basically no more. The same great group of folks will likely be at STT's pocono events, though. I've ridden a few events with STT and they seem to be a great organization, too. They have tracks all over the country from which to choose. They have good trackside support as well, tires, suspension help, etc. I've never ridden with TPM, but I'd like to try it out sometime, as I've heard many positive things and have several friends that ride with them. I've only heard negative things about NESBA, so I have no desire to try them out.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Nothing new to really add, but did want to chime in giving TPM a thumbs up for all the reasons already mentioned.

Safety is definately their main concern.. They want to see everybody go home the same way they arrived...

The coaches are very helpful, and more importantly, approachable. Ask them to evalute you for a lap or two, and they will... They might even be doing it without you knowing it, and after you session they might approach you to give you some pointers. Sometimes the pointers of one coach will contradict what another coach says, but thats because of different riding styles/techniques...

I've met so many great new people since riding with TPM it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside...

If you do decide to do a day, post up and we'll be sure to stop by and say hi!

Old 02-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #12
JasonB
.doosh

Send a message via AIM to JasonB Send a message via Yahoo to JasonB

I've done 2 "try the track days". One with NESBA and one with TPM. I wasn't too crazy about NESBA because when i did "try the track day", all they did was let us go out on the track with little to no instruction. "Try the track day" with TPM was a lot better, had control riders and alot more instruction. Also with TPM we got 2 sessions and with NESBA got only one session, a thank you and that was it. After the 2nd session with TPM, we went into the classroom and they told us what they have to offer.

my .02
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~ View Post
Jason is one good looking black man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~Today 04:29 PM
you are a hot black man in my book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
but instead i"m sitting in an airport internet chatting with a two bald men, one former gangbanger who drives a volvo and the other who thinks he's monk
1999 Red Kawasaki ZX6R – Sold
2001 Black and Silver GSX-R1000 - Sold
2007 Blue GSXR 600 - Sold
2006 Black GSXR 600 – Sold
2008 Blue and Orange Yamaha R6 – Current track bike
TPM/Nesba #819

Old 02-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #13
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRHK
I've done a couple days with NESBA and I thought the same thing. The coaches are very unwilling to help you and there is pretty much Zero instruction. God forbid you are trying to get moved up too. There also isn't very much trackside support. At least when I rode with them. They don't even put cones up to help you out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #14
DougZ
Out of Hiding

This will be my second season riding with TPM, and having never ridden with any other track club, really can't make a comparison. Let me preface my opinions with the fact that I am a bitcher, I hate most people, and have no time for things that don't work or run the way I feel they should, which is, of course, the right way.

With that said, I would have to say that I like TPM overall. They have things that I do like about them and things I don't like about them. Honestly, I only started with them because one of the members now here, had started a board track day, from last year, when we were all on another board(website). He could have picked any trackclub to do it with, and I would have done it, just to get on the track. I didn't know anyone at that point anyway, so it was good to meet people that I atleast had one little thing in common with.

Anyway, after doing six track days last year and looking to hopefully double that number this year, I have some opinions.

For the most part, the coaching staff is really good. Most of the coaches, like others said, are out there to help the riders and keep things safe for everyone. Not all of them ofcourse....in my first year, we did come across a coach or two that seemed to just wanna race through the white group, and not help anyone. Luckily, that only happened one time and I never saw that type behavior again. The rest of the coaches, for the most part, are really good and available for help. A couple of coaches, for me personally, have gone out of their way to help me, which I really appreciated. I don't think that was so much because of TPM, but that is the just kind of guys they are...but luckily, they are coaching with TPM, so it makes the organization better as a whole. There was a little bit that I didn't like about the coaching in reference to different coaches having different opinions of my riding. The majority of the coaches that gave me instruction would say I was on line and doing things properly, but there have been one or two that pulled me to the side after to say the opposite. It comes down to different riding styles of the coaches, but as someone that is out there to learn, consistency of instruction is what is really needed.

The riders, as a whole, are good with TPM. You will always have a knucklehead or two, that no matter how many times they get told not to, still inside pass in the white and red groups. The coaches can't see everything, but luckily, do respond when another rider advises them of something like that is going on. It would be better if the coaches did see everything, cause no one wants to "narc" on another guy, but when people's lives can be at stake, you gotta do the right thing. Most guys are out there to have a good time, and realize its a track day and not a race, so usually things go well and everyone has a good day.

I don't make a million dollars, so the money side of things is what really gets me going. One thing I don't like is when they over book the day and have to split the white group in two. So now, instead of having three run groupls all running 20 minutes sessions, you have four run groups each running 15 minutes. Doesn't seem like a lot, but at the average of say 8 sessions in a normal day, 40 minutes is being lost, which equates to two sessions. I am not being offered a pro-rated day, or a discount for the lost time, but yet have to deal with it. That is not something I like.

So, in my opinion, there is both good and bad things, about TPM. Prolly, somewhere down to the line when I make more money and have more time for track days, I will start to use other clubs in addition to TPM, just to get on the track more...but, until then, I can't compare organizations.

Overall, again, though, TPM is a good club to ride with.
1995 KDX 200,

DZC

My bikes:

Old 02-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #15
Marcmcm
Learner's Permit

Wow...I did 12 days with NESBA last year and 3 with STT. I have never done TPM before but I have considered it, however NESBA has enough dates this year that I can get 23 dates on my schedule so no need to pay for another membership.

I have never seen any of the stuff that you guys have said about NESBA. There are cones out there for reference points at entrance, apex, and exit points. I know most of the control riders by first name because I have talked to and ridden with just about all of them. They are ALL very helpful and will go out of their way to help you out. I have had several of them come to my pit and talk to me, even about asking me if I wanted bumped up. NESBA doesn't have a huge trailer full of goods because they're a non-profit organization and have the essentials; tires sliders, and water.

The best thing about NESBA, rain and crash insurance. You crash, you get your money back. It rains, you get your money back. Even if it's slightly dangerous, they will close the track down. They do a thorough tech inspection and I have seen them through offensive riders not only off the track but out of the track complex altogether.

I did 3 days with STT (one I didn't bother going to because it was snowing and they were still having the trackday) I have to say I was pretty displeased with the service. I didn't care for their instruction, nor did they tell you when signing up that instruction was mandatory. Not only that, you can sign up for any group you want to. Their tech inspection was a joke as well. But I'm not one to bad mouth (a lot) a track org, so I'll just leave you with "I'm a big fan of NESBA"