Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Extreme Lean Angle > Track Days
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Oct 10th lightning review
Old 10-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
ED_06gixxer
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to ED_06gixxer
Default Oct 10th lightning review

I attended Oct 10th, Lightning with TPM. Overall it was an okay day. I wish it could've been better, definitely too many crashes. Red group did 4 morning sessions, and 3 afternoon sessions. It doesn't sound too bad right? Well, some sessions were only like 5 laps

Honestly, I'm not upset with TPM, they told everyone to take it easy out there during the rider's meeting and stressed a lot of safety. But for some reason, idiots didn't pay attention and continued to ride like they are trying out for a MotoGP team or something. After lunch before we went out, they told everyone to chill and get warmed up again, since we just had a one hour break. Did they listen? No!!! 3 laps in, another crash. They cleaned it up as quickly as they could, then we go out one full lap, but then right before I get to the bowl on the second lap, I see the checker flag.

I kept cool about things and tried to stay positive, but then second session after lunch, exact same thing someone goes in way too hot into turn 7 right after the bridge and crashes (almost taking out the guy next to me in the pits). It appears he was kinda dicing or racing with someone. So this time red group gets yelled. The coach basically said something like, "If you are here to be racing, this is the wrong club. If you guys don't relax, we can skip your group." He also said that he wanted to go home in one piece, something like that. I don't blame him one bit, however I didn't think it was cool that the whole group got yelled at. For the most part I saw many of the red riders doing ok and honestly, everyone was riding safe and courteous. There were a few guys that were running kinda fast probably should've been in blue group, but coach Smoking Joe was working with them, and he's been with TPM forever so I'm sure he knows what he is doing. There was also a guy that I remember, I think he was on a SV650 with orange wheels and he was moving, again probably should be in blue. He certainly was passing fine and was moving fast.

So it's time for the last session, and again the guy running the event for TPM (I'm sorry I didn't know his name) talks to red group and tells us its the last session and to stop crashing. I think the squids had already packed and didn't come out for the last session cause we ran the whole session with no incidents. I believe I got 7 laps consecutively finally!!!

I wish it could've been better. My neighbor ended with about 105 track miles and he did all 7 sessions. I ended with a little less cause I missed the first session, but that was my fault. I'm used to coming home pretty tired but not saturday I wanna say that I'm not upset with TPM, they certainly were trying to warn people and we got 4 talks about not crashing. It was very clear that certain riders were not listening. I don't know what can be done about this? My one suggestion right now would be to implement a one crash policy, you crash you're out. Make it this strict so that the whole red group doesn't have to suffer for a couple of idiots. I don't know about the rest of the groups, I think blue and white went ok, and art basic level 1 was ok too. Anyone know how those groups did?

I'm glad I got another track day this upcoming Sunday, cause I couldn't end the season this way.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
yb929rr
Skid Mark

yeah they were talking about sat in sundays riders meeting. they were giving 2 strikes and you lost your track day on sunday cause sat was so bad. there were a few crashes. im in white and we only got flagged in on one sessions. overal it was a great day.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
RCM78
Tech Nazi

TPM is doing all they can to curb the crashing at NJMP or simply rid us of the riders that continue to cause problems.

The new policy is first incident, (could be anything, like inside passing or running off the track) you get an X on your tech sticker and sit out the remainder of your session plus the following session.
Second incident, your done for the day.
Coaches and corner workers will be calling the shots.

This has been in place for the last month or so and believe it or not many people have been sent home.

By my standards, 7 sessions and 100 miles ridden is a good day. I've seen much worse.
TPM Coach #71

Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED_06gixxer View Post
I don't know what can be done about this?
I'm convinced nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
The new policy is first incident, (could be anything, like inside passing or running off the track) you get an X on your tech sticker and sit out the remainder of your session plus the following session.
What about running off track to avoid a crash? Levi was basically pushed off the track at tbolt buy some dude who decided to pit in last second w/o any signal...causing him to almost crash into the bridge...next he knows hes got a check on his tech sticker...thats bs.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
lateapex
Skid Mark

I was coaching both days and we had our fair share of riders go down both days, aside from on rider on Saturday, all riders walked away, most rode again. I will say the coaches did save a lot of people from falling. I needed to get in front of numerous riders and slow them down before they get hurt or hurt someone else and witnessed other coaches doing the same. We know you only see the ones that go down but we had many more saved then went down.

As for the coach yelling at the group the way he did, I can insure you that is being addressed.

The one fall and gone rule would work for some and not for others as sometimes we make mistakes and learn. Most times 2 falls and you want to go home anyways and we'll encourage you to go home too. Sometime it's just not your day.

The SV rider was bumped to Blue on Sunday.

I don't blame you for being upset and you have every right to be. Write or call TPM and let them know, it can't hurt. I'm not going say they are going to fix it for the next event but your input might help them figure out a way to fix it.

Glad you had, somewhat, of a good time.
Team Pro-Motion Coach #929

"It's so much better goin' nowhere fast"

Stickers: See Chris at http://www.drippinwet.com

Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

Welcome to nj

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 10-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
ED_06gixxer
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to ED_06gixxer

Ralph, and George B: I thought the rule was one crash you get a strike, two crashes you go home? I didn't know if you go off track but keep the bike upright and get back on track safely, you still get a strike? That's kinda strict but if the general consensus is that it must be done, so be it.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Ralph, and George B: I thought the rule was one crash you get a strike, two crashes you go home? I didn't know if you go off track but keep the bike upright and get back on track safely, you still get a strike? That's kinda strict but if the general consensus is that it must be done, so be it.

The thought behind it is if you run off track your over riding your ability.
TPM Coach #71

Old 10-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes206 View Post
I'm convinced nothing.

What about running off track to avoid a crash? Levi was basically pushed off the track at tbolt buy some dude who decided to pit in last second w/o any signal...causing him to almost crash into the bridge...next he knows hes got a check on his tech sticker...thats bs.
Joe, It would be "tremendous" if we could see everything and call it correctly everytime, but for now "it is what it is"...
TPM Coach #71

Old 10-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
The thought behind it is if you run off track your over riding your ability.
Damn, I better not even bother with going to VIR South then...

Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
lateapex
Skid Mark

Quote:
Your right, we have new rules and I forgot them. That would count as 2 strikes so your done for the day.

My bad.
Team Pro-Motion Coach #929

"It's so much better goin' nowhere fast"

Stickers: See Chris at http://www.drippinwet.com