Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Vonage / VoIP phones
Old 11-03-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Default Vonage / VoIP phones

Anyone using vonage or another VoIP system? I'm getting an apartment in a month or so and thinking of going the VoIP way, but don't know anyone that's actually using it. How's the quality if you're using it?

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 11-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

I've only heard good things about it. Some friends have it in Philadelphia. But with cell phones, now a days, what's the point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 11-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
jcblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
I've only heard good things about it. Some friends have it in Philadelphia. But with cell phones, now a days, what's the point?
I was going to stick with my cell phone but from what the landlord said, cell phone reception sucks inside the apartments. I work from home so I need to a reliable phone. Plus, my work will pay for 50% of my phone bill. What I'm hoping is that I can hook the Vonage system up to my computer and have it act like a call center so I can record my calls and stuff.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 11-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
But with cell phones, now a days, what's the point?
If you ever decide on home security system, you need a land line.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
jcblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
If you ever decide on home security system, you need a land line.
or a shotgun.

Minarchism

Old 11-03-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
Islandmon
"Your Pet's Enemy!"

Send a message via AIM to Islandmon Send a message via Yahoo to Islandmon

Personally I love it...Only problens are when we lose power..Which happens frequently at times here in St. Kitts. OR when the DSL slows real bad it will pixelate once in awhile. But shit you can take it with you which works for me NJ number in St. shitts. And only 27 bucks month with no extra charges and 911 is available but you do need to activate through the website.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:42 PM   #7
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

I have Vonage in both my houses inPA and IN Brooklyn.
in brooklyn i have Optimumonline whichis a good internet provider andi have the 24.99 plan. had osm eminor problems with it at the beggingn but that was some sort oftechniclal issues but ever since than ( for about 10 months ) now i havehad no problem.. there are a few pluses to it..
1- free vonge to vonage
2- you can takeyou vonage router anywhere yougo andplug it in and your phone willowrk ther .. when i rented my PA house the guy took his vonage router plugged it in to my internet and was getting his phone calls there.
3- everything is accessable online... set up voive mail forwarding etc.. i forward my PA clals to my cell when i am not in PA, i also haveit set up that i canlisten to voivemail sonline at vonage .com andi get an email (or txt mssg) everytime someone leaves me a message.

I like it but like people said if there is a black out yougot no phone.. like in pa when power went down for a week i had no phone but peple could still leave msgs and i could listen to the... i also sometimes bring my PA vonage router home to vbrooklyn and make it seem like i am in PA when i am reallyin brooklyn oh yeah inPA i havethe 14.99plan which is 500 minutes its plenty..
i say go for it..
if you do please sign up thru me tho so i get a free month and so do u

thanks

Old 11-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
RonJ83
Ron 2.0

http://www22.verizon.com/FiOSforhome...t/package.aspx

try this, they put on a deminstration at my local mall and the speed was amazing, dam road runner is costing me 50 bucks a month.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
jcblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o
I have Vonage in both my houses inPA and IN Brooklyn.
in brooklyn i have Optimumonline whichis a good internet provider andi have the 24.99 plan. had osm eminor problems with it at the beggingn but that was some sort oftechniclal issues but ever since than ( for about 10 months ) now i havehad no problem.. there are a few pluses to it..
1- free vonge to vonage
2- you can takeyou vonage router anywhere yougo andplug it in and your phone willowrk ther .. when i rented my PA house the guy took his vonage router plugged it in to my internet and was getting his phone calls there.
3- everything is accessable online... set up voive mail forwarding etc.. i forward my PA clals to my cell when i am not in PA, i also haveit set up that i canlisten to voivemail sonline at vonage .com andi get an email (or txt mssg) everytime someone leaves me a message.

I like it but like people said if there is a black out yougot no phone.. like in pa when power went down for a week i had no phone but peple could still leave msgs and i could listen to the... i also sometimes bring my PA vonage router home to vbrooklyn and make it seem like i am in PA when i am reallyin brooklyn oh yeah inPA i havethe 14.99plan which is 500 minutes its plenty..
i say go for it..
if you do please sign up thru me tho so i get a free month and so do u

thanks
What's that mean? I thought, besides the monthly fee, the calls were free. Unless you're talking about calling africa or something. I'll sign up through you if I decide to go with it, which I probably will.

Minarchism

Old 11-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #10
RonJ83
Ron 2.0

the advantage is that its cheap, sound quality is pretty much the same, however if you ever have a black out your phone will be redered useless until power comes back and also make sure they have 911 avaliable and if so make sure you activate it.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #11
Islandchick
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to Islandchick

Vonage kicks ass..we live on St.Kitts and we took it with us so instead of having a 300$ phone bill per month it is only 28....plus family and friends call us now...lol