Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Need a digi cam....
Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o
Default Need a digi cam....

OK i need to replace my camera, my casio ex slim bit it a while ago and i have been camera-less for a while now.
i need to get another point and shoot digi cam and soon!!!.
i am debating between cannon (sd800) and a Panasonic (DMC-FX33K)
i know there is a few photo freaks on here who can help me make the decision and point me in the right direction.

pros cons of each? any experience with these?
what do you guys think?
if not one of these two what else is compatible in both feaures and price range?

thanks
K

Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

SD800 has a wide angle lens, which may or may not be useful, depending on what shots you have in mind. I got a SD850, and it was a toss up between those two for me since they are very similar. Best buy put the sd850 on sale for $285 which is a steal so that made up my mind.

I am not familiar with the Panasonic, but Canon makes an excellent point and shoot.

The 800 and 850 feature optical image stabilization which is nice. They use proprietary batteries which kinda sucks, but you can get decent aftermarkets cheap, and these newer cameras last much longer on a single charge.

I bought the 850 to replace an old canon S110 that Ive had for about 6 years. One of the batteries kicked the bucket and I figured it was time for an upgrade. I kept the S110 so long because it was a very solidly build camera and the picture quality for a 2MP camera is excellent.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

well i pulled the trigger on the cannon sd800
got it for 285 shipped

i went over to J&R on my lunhc break and played around with both cams. idecided on the 800 over the 850 because of the wide angle lense. it can com ein usefull when shooting in close range and trying to get more in the shot. which aremost of the pics ai take (goingout with friends at bars, vocations, etc) i compared the 2 (800 and 850) and i decided to go with the 800. ( i was pissed cause i actully ordered the 800 from Dell at 250 delivered but as usual dell called me back a week later and said it was on back ordere indefinatly) i also like that the 800 has a view finder, comes in handy when trying ot use burst modes for action photos or saving bat life.

i also had a chance to play around with the panny, it was nice but a bit bulkier than the canon because the lens sticks out, the newer model was about 140 more so it was out of the questions. also when talking to the rep at the store he said they are fairly new hile canon is a proven brand and Panny was stillup in the air.

anywho thanks for your help

btw i also had the s110 and still have it, battery is totaly kicked but i can still squeeze out a shot or tow..