Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

An odd occurrence
Old 04-25-2006, 04:04 AM   #1
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Default An odd occurrence

I recently decided to check the tire pressure on my RSX, something which I haven't done since I picked it up. The car and tires have about 4,500 miles on them and seemed to be wearing properly, but I did notice the car's ride was a bit stiff, not in the suspension, but in the tires.

So in applying the gauge it quickly shot up to nearly 50 PSI on the first tire being the right rear. I opened the door and checked the ratings on the sticker which listed 31 PSI for all four tires for size that was mounted. After checking the other three they all read between 48 and 50 PSI!

So I dropped them down to 31 PSI, then took the car for a quick spin on the backroads in the twisties, the car's handling seemed to be increased dramatically, and the oversteer feeling was gone. After contacting the dealer they couldn't explain why the pressure was that high so they apologized and sent me a notice for a free oil change.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Last edited by High_Revs_17; 04-25-2006 at 04:11 AM..

Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to ImmaSquashYou

Well, due the weather changes, it will change hence this is what causes most bubbles in the car. During the winter, the air is more compressed and will read differently than in the hot weather. If your tire pressure read correctly in the winter, it own't read the same during the summer. As tire pressure goes up, the tire needs to expand more, and if you hit a lil pot hole, it will bubble up on the side wall since the air has to go somewhere. I'm lazy too, but this is why i at least check my tire pressure at least once when i feel the weather change a bit

Old 04-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
PitsVtec
SBA Evangelist

Cool beans! Your lucky the tires didn't pop!