View Single Post

NYC Theft Ring Bust
Old 05-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Kurts1000RR
Tank Slapper

Default NYC Theft Ring Bust

I put in a call to NYPD about this. They gave me the cold shoulder and told me to go through my local PD for information on what was recovered. I can only hope.

Operation Biker Boyz Breaks Up Alleged Theft Ring

By BRADLEY HOPE - Staff Reporter of the Sun
May 4, 2006

The brains behind an alleged $4 million a year motorcycle theft ring dismantled this week by police and the FBI was Atilla Lengyel, a 45-year-old Hungarian with a penchant for speed.

When his operation was at its height, a team of 20 thieves worked the streets, hot-wiring or simply picking up and hauling away high-end, high-price motorcycles, law enforcement officials said yesterday.

The most sought-after bike was the Suzuki "Hayabusa," which can clock 200 mph. The ring stole between 300 and 400 bikes a year, including a Harley Davidson worth $50,000, police said.

"This group loved to drive these motorcycles fast," the commander of the NYPD's Auto Crimes Division, Deputy Inspector Howard Lawson, said. "They all knew each other - a kind of subculture of motorcycle enthusiasts."

The only problem, Mr. Lawson said, was that they liked to ride other people's bikes and then sell them for thousands of dollars.

The nearly year-long investigation by the joint task force of police, FBI agents, and Homeland Security Immigration Customs Enforcement agents was called Operation Biker Boyz.

In the last week, 20 of the 23 alleged members of the operation were arrested in the New York area and in Hungary. Mr. Lengyel, whom police say is the mastermind of the operation, faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted on charges of enterprise corruption, the Queens district attorney, Richard Brown, said. Other members of the alleged operation face up to seven years for lesser crimes, including grand larceny and criminal possession of stolen property, he said.

The brains behind an alleged $4 million a year motorcycle theft ring dismantled this week by police and the FBI was Atilla Lengyel, a 45-year-old Hungarian with a penchant for speed.

When his operation was at its height, a team of 20 thieves worked the streets, hot-wiring or simply picking up and hauling away high-end, high-price motorcycles, law enforcement officials said yesterday.

MySpace MyWork