View Single Post

Old 05-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #37
causef0rconcern
Up On One

Send a message via AIM to causef0rconcern

From what I understand (I am not an eyewitness), the pack was manuevering through a relativly sharp uphill left hander (I was slightly nervous making it through the same turn about 5-6 bikes ahead). One rider mid-pack lowsided and began sliding off the road, bike and rider seperatly. The person following grabbed a bunch of brake to avoid hitting the fallen rider and instead collided with the downed bike. This sent rider #2 down into the side of the pavement/grassy ditch area thing. Both riders were wearing padded jackets and jeans. They were shook up at the scene and a little achey, and I'm sure they are sore today with minor cuts and bruises. However they both were on their feet with no problems immidiatly after, and both bikes were ridable. Rider #2 limped another ~80 miles home with a completely mashed but bungeed front end.

Moral of the story?
1. When executing unfamiliar turns on a group ride, BE CAREFUL. If you feel displaced from your comfort zone, ease up and wave those behind you past so everyone can go through safely.
2. Maintain a safe distance. I'd say the two second rule is too short. If the person in front of you goes down for some reason, you should be able to react quickly and avoid further collision

Shit happens real quick when you're moving on a motorcycle. Be careful!! I was ecstatic to see everyone doing OK after I heard there was a wreck a few bikes back in the group. Thanks to everyone for helping out, and the guy who supplied the bungees, you rock! If you want those back we can arrange that easily.

'00 Suzuki GSX-R 750: Lonely in NJ.
'92 Honda VFR750 streetfighter: 500lbs of all weather, curb hopping, apocalypse-ready, pothole-eating urban assault device

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE MOTORIZED