Thread: RS250 questions
View Single Post

Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

The RS250 is a fun bike. Comming from a tl or rc-51 it will feel like riding a mini bike. It weighs somewhere around 300 lbs. and it only has like 60-65 HP. You can't really get much more then that out of the motor with out blowing it up. As far as maintaining it.. it is pretty simple as far as 2-stokes go. Keep in mind that this was a streetbike in Europe and is not a true GP bike, ie: TZ250, Honda RS250. Compared to those bikes it is pretty much gas and go.
Top ends(piston, rings, circlips, wristpin bearings, head gasket x 2) are reccomend to be replaced every 700-1000 miles of track use. +-$400
Bottom end (Drop in crank) is reccomended every 1500-2000 miles of track use. $500

I had one with just under 3000 miles and it had all original top & bottom end and still ran strong. I recently sold it for $3500. If I were to keep it I would have replaced these parts. It is preventative because a siezure is catastrophic & will cost you a ton of more money. They don't eat tires and the tires are cheaper because it is 160 rear. You will get killed on straits by the people you just passed in the turns. The corner speed that you can carry on these things is scary and the brakes are insane.

They are hard to ride fast and are a ton of work to do so. You have to ring its neck with out over reving it, you only have like a 2.5k or so range in which you need to keep it in, you constanly have to shift and slip the clutch, and there is no engine braking. In saying all this, when you get it all right it is awsome.

Like mac said aprilia forums has a rs250 sub-forum with tons of information. Good Luck!

OCCR
RIP AJ600M