View Single Post

Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #9
causef0rconcern
Up On One

Send a message via AIM to causef0rconcern

So it wasn't the seal. Popped a new one in, easy as pie, fired her up, took her around the block, and came back seeping out again. Closer inspection yielded amazing results. A cracked shifter shaft DOH. So I ordered up a new one, and began the process of replacing it. Drained the oil, popped off the clutch cover, and began to wrestle the damned thing out. Sure enough...it didn't want to come out. Because it was shaped like this:

Yes indeed. A bent shaft is a bad shaft as we know. As a few of you know, the bike was layed down on the left side last year. My guess is that the shaft was somehow bent during that little fall, and slowly developed a fissure at the bend(which happened at the weak point: the groove where the gasket sits) that only started leaking oil recently. The old shaft was also hollow which contributed to this problem. Oil went in on the internal side of it, then out of the crack outside of the trans. We noticed that the new OEM replacement was a solid shaft. I guess Suzuki noticed. So yeah. If you have some oil problems, think outside the bun. It might not be as obvious as a seal.

'00 Suzuki GSX-R 750: Lonely in NJ.
'92 Honda VFR750 streetfighter: 500lbs of all weather, curb hopping, apocalypse-ready, pothole-eating urban assault device

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE MOTORIZED