View Single Post

Old 01-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
pillaka
Stiffy Pooh

Send a message via AIM to pillaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
so quick question?????????? why are so guys getting like 8 to 10 track days out of a set and others like 2... i figure PACE and TACK TEMP. has a key role but the one guy is in blue group mid pack id say and he got 10 ??? it just doesnt figure right but i now that their being honest??? i dont know......
There are a ton of variables that dictate when people replace tires.

Yes the faster you go, the faster you will burn through tires. It sucks.

Also a street/track compound tire is a harder rubber than at DOT tire, so they will last longer. The rider also plays a part, a smoother rider not pushing the tires hard is going to get more life out of it. I can easily see someone getting 10 days out of a street/track compound tire. Thing about those tires is as long as they have rubber on them they are going to grip pretty much that same, not so much for DOT tires which have optimal grip then fade toward the end of their lifecycle.

When it comes to replacing them, that comes down to the rider.
Over the years I see lots and lots of people get a set of lets say pirelli DOT supercorsas. Run 2 - 3 trackdays, as soon as they feel a rear "slide", the buy a new rear or even a whole new set and throw that on the bike. So now you have someone saying they get 2 - 3 days out of a set.

In the meantime you can have another guy run the same tires and the same 2 - 3 trackdays, feel a rear "slide", look at the rear tire and see he has 50 - 60% rubber left and keep riding on it and get another trackday or two. He's running the same pace and gets 4 - 5 out of a set.

To each their own, your money you can do what you want! Personally though I don't mind the people that look at a supercorsa with 50% tread left and then decide to throw it out, free takeoffs are awesome!

2009 Yamaha R6 Racebike R.I.P
WERA expert #360
CCS/ASRA #360
TPM Coach #360

2009 Sponsors

Team Pro-Motion
Woodcraft CFM Motorsports
Monmouth Cycles
Rider Insurance

Last edited by pillaka; 02-05-2009 at 02:11 PM..