View Single Post

Old 09-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Next stop, the Cape Breton Miners' Museum! This is located in Glace Bay, a little north of Sydney.

Our tour guide. He was a miner for 30+ years.

They had horses that lived their entire lives in the mines...what a sad life.

A 'crowded' beach we found along the way.

Time to start looking for somewhere to camp...

....and after an hour or so of wandering around some farm field areas, we were hoping to ask a farmer if we could set up camp for the night, but no such luck....until, we came across a kid on a home made bike riding around. he came up to us, and we asked him if he knew anywhere we could camp for the night. he invited to his house where we spoke to his parents, and they graciously offered their backyard. Woohoo! The father worked overseas and this month he happened to be in NS. He works a few months in Russia, and comes back home for a month or two; he's an oil driller. This was very typical of NS life. The economy is weak and so many of it's workers are going abroad to find work. I read in my travel guide that for the first time in NS history, they had more NS citizens leaving the province than babies born. With the population getting older and much of the work force leaving to find wealth outside of NS...NS's economy has sufferred. But despite this, the people are truly some of the nicest people I've met.

They had a nice firepit in the backyard too. Perfect!

We got a great nights sleep and work up early in the morning to get started. We packed up quietly, and rolled out bikes to the street before starting up the bikes. We couldn't have asked for better hosts.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t