View Single Post

Old 02-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSteve View Post
Same thing happened in F1 too, they made a bunch of changes to make it "safer" and ended up making it less safe. Grooved tires? Meant to slow them down by giving them less grip? How is that safer? I get the concept; that they'll slow down but when does racing ever slow down? If they want GP bikes to go slower, they need to design slower tracks. If they want GP to be safer, they need better safety equipment and safer tracks. IMO the best thing they've done in the recent past that's made GP racing safer is to allow all the electronics into the bikes.

I really looking forward to this season too.

Grooved tires werent required to slow down the cars. The old slicks had so much grip that when they did let go the cars would fly up off the ground and flip in the air. The grooved tires let the car slide more controlably and also let the body of the car maintain it's downforce.

The grooved tires also lessen the g's felt by the drivers during hard cornering. The old slicks were making some drivers disoriented do to excessive g's in the corners...
TPM Coach #71