View Single Post

Old 06-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
duc748pilot
chicken wing

third season using "gp shift". once you get used to it....you wont go back. but its like quitting smoking......you have to force yourself to get over the initial change...after that its smooth sailing.

i'll give you an example.....summit point turn 2......if your going fast enough you can touch down in that "kink" (wouldnt even call it a turn)..... leaned over at that speed, your body clearly has to be way over to the right to keep the bike going where you want it. going into turn one i go from 6th to 2nd gear....then after the apex im accelerating to turn two.....by the time i reach the apex im topped out.....but im leaned waaaaay over to be able to turn and carry that speed...i wouldnt be able to upshift into third by getting my foot under the shifter....its much much easier to tap down to upshift. same goes for a left hander. the motions are just more natural (once your used to them).

btw i dont think theres any safe place to get used to it. i switch mine and went to the track....but i did upshift a few times instead of downshifting my first time out. it takes some time. while getting used to it just do not count on any engine braking...give yourself enough room for brakes only.