Thread: TV Opinion
View Single Post

Old 07-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

In general, all manufactures have multiple product lines. Each product line will have certain features and specifications and are generally offered in multiple sizes. Samsung low end sets might be better than LGs high end sets, and vice versa. Quality can also vary from the same manufacturer as different product lines may be produced in different factories, even in another country.

You are going to pay top dollar for the latest and greatest, which isn't very smart because in a few months, since it will cost less in a few months when the new latest and greatest is released to replace it. On top of that the new stuff is unproven, and the only reviews you are going to see are from the industry which tend to be biased and unreliable. Over time many units will have some weird issue that you will be able to read up on, and make a better decision if its the right set for you.

For a TV under 42" LCD is your only real choice. for 42"-60"ish you have LCD and Plasma, and over 60" you have plasma, DLP or a projector with a screen. I am not sure what the largest reasonably priced consumer LCD TV is, but it is probably in the mid 50s".

I chose plasma because its disadvantages such as weight, glare and power consumption were a non factor for me, and for the price range any LCD would not match the picture quality. I'm sure plasma will eventually go away as LCD closes the gap.

The more details you can give on what you are looking for and what you plan on doing with the TV can give the rest of us a better idea on what to recommend. Such as will you be watching a lot of standard def TV on it, video games? would you like to hook your pc/laptop up to it? is this for the bedroom or living room. will you be watching movies on it?