View Single Post

Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejtable View Post
Only downside that I hear about some models of KTMs are the maint intervals... You had one so you are probably familiar with the variouos models somewhat already... Friend of mine has the Enduro 690 and for the 80/20 you are looking to do, that's probably not the right bike...

What about a vstrom or versys? I figured the multistrada would be something you would like, but thats bigger than most of the bikes you are looking into...

Any particular reason you sold the KTM? If its because the type of riding you want, or plan to do, what do you plan to do more of, and less of?
I think the Vstrom is too tall for me, and I think the Versys is hideous looking. A friend has one and he says he says its very mild mannered, and probably needs a little more HP to make it fun to ride - not what I'm looking for.

I sold the KTM because I wanted something that could handle highway speeds better for passing and dodging the occasional dumbass driver. The vibrations were also an issue. After 300 miles per day for 3+ days, the vibrations were a bit much. The small fuel capacity was also a big problem, which I fixed with the aux tank. For the next bike, I want something that will go at least 130/140 miles between fill ups.

So basically, I'm looking for a bigger version of my single cylinder ktm.

I think the 950SM is my top choice at this point. The 06/07 models are priced pretty well, although there aren't that many around.

I looked at the 950SM/R and 990SM/R. They look a little better, but their fuel tanks are smaller too, which might be a problem if it runs dry by 100 miles.

The Ducati Hypermotard 1100 looks like a good choice too, but it might be more than I'm willing to spend for used bike. Small gas tank too (3.3 gallons). I wonder what this bike's mileage is like. I've seen reviews on this bike say this is more or less a naked bike dressed up like a supermoto, that it handles more like a street bike than a supermoto.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t