View Single Post

Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #42
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Day 8...[unexpectedly] the last day of the trip for me...read From Bedford, PA to Saylorsburg, PA

This is Tony's gps route. We basically split up about half way. He continued towards Philly and I made my way northeast towards Saylorsburg.

Today's our last day together on the same route. I think we were both starting to feel the miles and looking forward to our own beds. I had another day of riding scheduled before I would make it back to Northampton, MA.

Tony remembers when this OJ was a normal serving at restaurants. This was their "small".

the regulars

A proper breakfast.

Nice eye candy, but I'd hate to be behind a line of these Sunday drivers.

http://2wheelslittletime.com/?p=787

After a good night's rest and a hearty breakfast, it's finally time to hit the road again. We head west through the backroads of PA..

more downhill twisties coming up. i prefer downhill over uphill.

there was rain in the forecast for this general area, but somehow we were able to skirt around it the entire way.

I finally make my way to Saylorsburg, PA where I would spend the night. I planned to ride one more day from here to western Mass...but my rear tire would dictate otherwise.. at first I thought I might be ok for another 200 miles...

BUT, i thought better of it, when I noticed THIS:

I considered myself lucky to have made it this far and did not want to test my luck any further. I would have to u-haul it back the rest of the way a few weeks later.

overall, this is exactly the motorcycle trip format that i prefer....select the best possible roads as top priority, then see if there are any potential interesting stops along the way, avoid any sight-seeing detours that alter the best route for a lesser quality route, and have a good mix between camping and hotels, occasional stealth camping if possible, and try to eat at only quality local restaurants. try to avoid chain restaurants and fast food places. no preset reservations for hotels, campsites, etc so we can set our own pace/distance. to account for delays, we routed the last leg of the trip somewhat parallel to a major highway/interstate so if needed, we could book it back home.

all in all, it was a great trip. it's not often that i'll return from riding so many days and so many miles, and find myself daydreaming about being back on the road on another trip. usually, these bike trips beat me up a bit and the rest is welcomed. this year was quite the opposite. i think the 950sm is the perfect sport touring machine for me.

well, that's all folks! hope you enjoyed the report!

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t