View Single Post

Old 07-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #57
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

After 2 disappointing appearances at Pocono this season, I think I finally have the TZ running properly. I spent the last two afternoons working on the bike trying to eliminate possible causes for the bike not revving past 6k RPM.

I pulled the carbs, heads, exhaust valves, plugs, installed new ignition coils, and still the bike wouldn't rev properly. The bike idled OK, but anything past 4K RPM was messy and it just choked out at 6k.

I also re-checked the ignition timing which was spot on. After scratching my head over this for 2 days with FDNYDANO who lent moral support and killed the local mosquitoes with his cigar, I swapped out the CDI Ignition and Magneto set for a spare I had in the garage.

Low and behold, the bike lives again...go figure. The ignition computer shit the bed without warning.

Glad I had a spare complete ignition set that I bought used last year, the new ones are $1500.00....

So far this season I installed:
newly replated cylinders, new top end (pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets), new chain, new sprockets, new custom heads, new plugs, new tires, new ignition coils, rebuilt the carbs.

After getting the motor running again, I changed out the gearing to 15/40 for NJMSP for Friday, look out for the blue smoke. Hoping the gear selection will be good enough for that track since I am hearing about the wide open throttle sections.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Last edited by NYCSTRIPES; 07-23-2008 at 06:37 PM..