View Single Post

Old 05-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #48
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Its definitely been a learning curve. Jumping into a full on GP bike without having owned anything similar to this has been a bitter sweet experience. They were designed to be built for racing and as a track day machine, they can chalk up some expense. VP c12 (leaded) Racing Fuel is expensive, Castrol A747 two-stroke pre-mix oil is also costly. Combined, the fuel and oil comes out to about $15 per gallon. Top end rebuilds have to be performed at 300 mile intervals or every 3 track days. The good thing is that the top end is a simple task which can take about 60-90 minutes time.
Crankshafts about every 1200 miles..once a season.

I have had the bike on the track a couple of times and when I had it up and running, it was a serious blast. More fun to ride than any bike I have ever owned. I am still trying to get up to speed on having them up and running reliably. I have made some simple mistakes in tuning that has cost me two break downs so far. The good thing is that they were both common mistakes and they helped me to learn a lot about the internal workings of the bike.
There is a lot of support for them on the web which has been extremely helpful to me, being good with a wrench is a must though. Its not for the faint of heart. You MUST like to tinker to own a GP two stroke. It can be a great hobby riding and keeping one of these bikes in tune.
I have my fingers crossed for a good season, but either way, every time I have to tear it down, I wind up learning more about these amazing machines.

I just hope that they keep making parts for them.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain