View Single Post

Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #73
Lucky7
Tank Slapper

Only one crash at this point...

I was picking my bike up from my mechanic in Brooklyn to take it back to Rockland County. My guy just put on new rotors and master cyclinder and upgraded calipers on my TLS at the time. I decided to take the scenic route and ride across the Willamsburg throught the city. By the time I got on the bridge it was started drizzling a bit and roads were getting damp. I get off the bridge and prepare to take a right. I couldn't really see the road because I had some concrete dividers on the side walk obstructing my view of the road so I didn't see the steel plate right smack in the middle. Some chick ran in front of me to beat the light to crossing the street. I grab the front brake to avoid her to slow down and not hit her. The combination of a little rain on, tires on a smooth metal plate, and abrupt braking just made it a recipe for a low side. I lowsided, me and the bike slide and hit the curb. Fortunately it was at relatively low speed, about 20-25 mph not too much damage on the bike just scratches and a slight ding on the tank. I was wearing a jacket but didn't only had jeans. I went away with rash on my right shin and a bruised ego.

So for me lessons learned were not to be too ham-fisted with the brakes, practice emergency stopping, get better pants.

"Footpeg, knee-puck and side tire wear tell how deeply the devotee partakes of our cult sacraments: the scuffs, scrapes and feathered side rubber from conquered forces, or the fractured plastic of triumphant ones, are worn proudly up and down our two-lane tabernacles as proof of personal enlightenment."

Keith Code