Thread: whats a TRE?
View Single Post

Old 08-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
BurnCycle
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle

er... the link you posted explains the TRE.

On the TL bikes...

On a TL you do not add the TRE to remove the speed limiter (it wont go that fast) as you do on a Busa. The reasons for it on a TL are aid the fueling and get rid of the stumbles in the lower RPM. If you've done any sudden off/on throttle exercises and felt the TL kind of fall on its face (well, not that bad) then the TRE is beneficial. If you suffer from stumbles at low RPM's then a TRE is one of many things that will aid (not cure) those issues. If you think it give you more horsepower then you're mistaken.

TRE's come in so many flavors these days too. I've had an active TRE that allowed me to specify what gears got mapped and what gear they mapped to. I currently use a TRE that's an integrated part of my GPI on the TLS. Some are simple resistors brought from Radio Shack for pennies, others plug-and-play and may or may not have a switch.

So what do you want?

I believe having a way to turn off the TRE is a good thing or find one that is 'active' so that it doesn't work while the bike is in neutral. A TRE that is always on has been reported to make cold starts a little harder since. The neutral map is very different from geared map so keeping the TRE for screwing with it is something to keep in mind.

Another thought (hey... I'm rolling), My TLS uses a TRE as I mentioned above. My TLR that only sees track use does not. The reason for this is that the TLR operates in a range that is not affected by the timing retard (low rpm / partial throttle).

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction… and sometimes a scar.