View Single Post

Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
Cecil
Learner's Permit

The second row as they get ready to take off. Danny Pedrosa, John Hopkins, and Nicky Hayden. It's impossible for me to describe the next experience. The start of a MotoGP race is so intense, so loud, so friggin incredible that I was completely blown away. Did I say loud?

They do their warm up lap and regrid. Everyone is just revving their engines. 19 completely unrestriced prototype engines going Vroom, Vroom, Vroooooooom, Vroom. Then the board goes sideways and they all just hold the throttle wide open. Some are bouncing off the limiter, "BAAADATADATADATADA". It's so loud your teeth are rattling and you can't imagine it getting any louder. But then they drop the green flag! It actually gets even louder!! They take off like nothing I've ever seen or heard. I've been to several NASCAR events at Pocono Raceway and without a doubt, the start of a MotoGP race is MUCH louder than a NASCAR start. Perhaps its because the cars are already rolling. I don't know. But it's like top fuel dragster loud. The sights and sounds of the MotoGP green flag are something I will never ever forget. I practically orgasmed on the spot.

You all saw the race. You know the outcome. I was disappointed that Rossi blew up. But I'm glad he did it right in front of me. And what's better than Nicky doing a massive burn out in front of the stands? My buddy Mike has an unobstructed pic of this scene.

The podium. If only Colin could have made it there again. I was really rooting for him this weekend. You have to really be impressed with Pedrosa for showing up at a track like Laguna and making the box. He's the real deal for sure. The USGP will probably be known as the defining race of the 2006 season. It saw Rossi slip 2 places in the points and Nicky strengthen his lead. It's over now and Rossi has said as much. Nicky Hayden is the 2006 MotoGP Champion. It all started at Laguna in 2005 and he put the final nail in Rossi's coffin at Laguna 2006.

After the race Laguna suddenly turned into a nightmare. Everyone was trying to leave at the same time. It was totally insane outside the bridge at turn 1. Gina and I thought it would be a good idea to stay for the Superstock and Supersport races and allow the crowds to diminsh.

While attempting to cross the bridge, more like a cattle chute at this point, my wife starts telling me she's dizzy. We're stuck in literally a sea of people, sweaty, sticky, hot, and she's getting ready to drop on me. I made a hole all the way out, sat her on the ground and got her some ice cream. I asked her if her camelback was empty. She replied no. This meant she hadn't even drank 2 liters of water yet today. I was already through 4 liters. At that point I wanted to scream at her. But I was calm and told her she's not drinking enough and unfortunately I can't do it for her. I made sure she finished her camelback and refilled it before trying to get back into the track. It's like 140+ degrees out on the track. Probably 105 in the stands and she wasn't drinking water. After the sugar rush and rehydration she seemed much better though. I figure people were dropping like flies all over the track.

Anyway, this little diversion worked out in our favor. Timing is everything. When we finally made it across the bridge and back into the paddock, we got a nice treat!