Thread: So Screwed!
View Single Post

Old 08-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
pmdez
Burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
you could take the defensive driving course to lower your points. But its once every 5 years. Not one. And its a gamble. This is how it works out

If you take the defensive driving course, it is really a gamble, and this is why.

your license will drop 2 points. But within one year of taking that class, you CANNOT get a ticket. If you get a ticket within one year period after taking the class, you will get MORE points, possibly even losing your license. A laywer will NOT gaurantee you to walk away with no points, and the ones that do are bsing you. However, its around $500 for a TRAFFIC lawyer, sometimes more and sometimes less. If your court is in woodbridge, get a woodbridge laywer, since lawyers that go out of town will charge more because they have to travel farther, and you'll feel like a schmuck if he just lowered it 2 points which you could of done yourself.

Best bet:
Plead not guilty, try to get it to the 0pt ticket like ffjettable said. If not, go for the 39:4-97.2 which is also a 0pt ticket. Otherwise, just take the 2 points n the insurance hit and DON"T take the defensive driving course. For some ODD reason if the prosecutor won't lower the points at ALL, ask to be rescheduled so you can get a lawyer. You do'nt really have to get a lawyer, but thats a good reason for them to reschedule you. Let me remind you that the town just wants money, and their best bet is to give you the 39:4-97.2 which would run you about $433
thanks guys...some really good info. here! considering i've NEVER gotten a ticket (besides parking ones)...i may just opt to take the course if i still wind up with 2 pts.,...although i probably just jinxed myself and will get pulled over right after, jeez!!