View Single Post

Old 05-09-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin
Eh... yes and no. I agree, but also because I believe that some fundamental aspects of our society from a financial standpoint need to be adjusted. We are obviously moving towards a global economy - we aren't there yet, but progress is being made. Outsourcing is a great example. What was found from some outsourcing, however, was a degradation in quality. Whats going to happen (over a very long period of time) is a levelling out of salaries worldwide for the same positions as the internet and other forms of communication and collaboration allow for any small company to act as a global producer. So... half the pay may be how it is now, but won't necessarily remain the case. Salaries will increase, or be appropriate to the level of skills associated as communication technologies close the gap between international borders and normalize us all into a global economy. Its unavoidable, really, but I think in a similar way to the 90's and the .com bubble, right now we are in a period of transition where this will continue to happen until we reach the point where it reaches a reasonable level for all.

Similar, if you will, to the current real estate situation - its definitely moving away from being a sellers market, and the growth of real estate value has substantially decreased.
Globalization is different from foreigners taking Americans jobs in America... Quite frankly if a company wants to outsource to India because its cheaper, well ok, but at least the poor sucker they are outsourcing too still has to live in India... Give that same job to a foreigner living in the states, and now they have a job AND the freedom/security this country has to offer... In a way its all part of the same thing, but at this time they arent the same, as the standard of living is not equal among the countries involved in this globalization process (yet). Salaries may go up and level out for everybody across the board, but at the moment that only hurts those of us making more money and helps those making less.

My example was strictly talking about (highly educated) foreigners coming to this country to take jobs away from Americans, which our government has no problems with allowing. Its the low paying jobs (unskilled labor) that this country wont grant green cards for and has made immigration for these people VERY difficult even though they work their ass off. Its discrimination based on social status. We welcome with open arms anybody from a foreign country with a college degree (for the most part, there are limits), yet turn away those that are willing to do america's dirty work, even though our economy has shown that the services of these people are essential.

America is a country of immigrants. To deny these people access to the same immigration process as our ancestors (which we have) is no fault of theirs.