View Single Post

Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
spyder
Tank Slapper

Wow good find...

Is my motorcycle required to be inspected?
Effective August 1, 2010, motorcycles are no longer required to submit for an inspection in the
State of New Jersey. Riders should keep in mind that it is their responsibility to ensure that their
motorcycles are free from mechanical defects and are operating properly.
How do I self-inspect my motorcycle?
Here are some points that every rider should remember before they hit the road. They should be
mindful to have the current motorcycle registration, insurance card and driver license with them
whenever they ride. Of course, they must always ride with the correct protective equipment
which includes the following:
 USDOT approved non-reflective helmet with four inches of reflective tape on each side
 Approved goggles or face shield if motorcycle is not equipped with an approved wind
screen
Finally, it is important that the motorcycle be examined to ensure that every component is
working in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications and is not bent, loose, damaged,
broken, defective or out of alignment. These components are as follow:
 Steering, suspension, and wheel alignment
 Handlebar grips that are not higher than your shoulders when you are seated on the
motorcycle in normal driving position
 Horn
 Red rear light and reflector
 Stop light
 Head light
 Rear view mirror
 Exhaust system
 Tires
 Seat, hand holds, and foot rests
 Adequate brakes (all motorcycles made after 1974 require brakes on front and rear
wheels)
It is important for all riders to remember that any vehicle, including motorcycles, may be cited
by law enforcement at any time for mechanical defects or when equipment is out of compliance.
For further additional information on motorcycle safety and training please refer to
www.NJridesafe.org.