Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Bike Talk (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Motorcycle ramps (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1729)

MrQuickR1 01-10-2006 10:00 PM

Motorcycle ramps

I've been checkig out th Oxlite ramps Cakes gave me the heads up on. I see ramps at 12" wide. I was wondering how do the ramp users walk it up the ramp into the back of a pickup without tumbling over with it on such a narrow path with no room for you to walk next to it.
I was thinking of the 18" x 89" arched and foldable. Or 2 12" x 89" for like quads. Thing with that is each ramp is rated for 500 lbs. totaling 1000 lbs. capacity, which seems too close to max capacity on one ramp.
As clumsy as I can be sometimes, would the 18" be too narrow? Has anyone used the 12 or 18 inch ramps?

Thanks

soda7o 01-10-2006 10:02 PM

i aheb two of those foldable ramps i think they are liek 12 inches wide themost.. i walk on one and push thebike up the other.. ( usuallyon the way up i putit in first and work the clutch so it goes up by it self) i think my ramps are reated at 700 or somthign liek that .

carl_g 01-10-2006 10:45 PM

to be honest I get a running start and have a cooler set up as my step up to the tail gait!

tommymac 01-10-2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ism409
to be honest I get a running start and have a cooler set up as my step up to the tail gait!

But doesnt your bike weigh like 100 pounds now:lol:

Tom

RCM78 01-10-2006 11:02 PM

I use two ramps to put a bike in the bed of my truck...

AfricanBootyScratcher 01-11-2006 12:51 AM

Quote:

I am at one with the cooler method myself! usually I try to have someone give me a hand pushing from the back, if alone, I'll start the bike and leave it in first, and feather the gas/clutch while I walk next to it

CBRBob 01-11-2006 01:29 AM

The ramp I use to put the bike in my truck is 8in wide........never had one problem.

njf4i 01-11-2006 07:30 AM

I know mack uses the 2 ramp method bill. He would bring the bike up on one ramp and then walk up the other ramp himself. It worked well for him, except for that time he tried to bring it off the truck in the rain. Needless to say the bike came down quicker then he wanted and without using all of the ramp. :lol:

MrQuickR1 01-11-2006 09:05 AM

That's just it too, getting it in the bed may be alot easier then taking it out. I was looking for the pair of ramps but I also wanted the arched model and the kind the folds for less storage space. I have a 6 foot bed and the tail gate will either be left open or off to compensate the length of the bike, so the more shit in the bed such as ramps, or even a 2x8 as a walking plank will just be one more thing to worry about strapping down or falling out even.

I've seen the cooler method....Pilot did it, and the top looked like it was gonna crush through LOL!

ffejtable 01-11-2006 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBRBob
The ramp I use to put the bike in my truck is 8in wide........never had one problem.

Your tailgate is also about 12" from the ground. ;)

My truck is low enough that I dont have to use anything else at home, but its not much fun... The cooler/toolbox/crate method works everywhere else... I used to use a 2x10x8' but thats not very convenient... My current ramp is only 10 or 12" wide, and folds flat so I can slide it under the bike in the truck bed...

What works for you is going to depends somewhat on how high the truck bed is....

ffejtable 01-11-2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrQuickR6
That's just it too, getting it in the bed may be alot easier then taking it out. I was looking for the pair of ramps but I also wanted the arched model and the kind the folds for less storage space. I have a 6 foot bed and the tail gate will either be left open or off to compensate the length of the bike, so the more shit in the bed such as ramps, or even a 2x8 as a walking plank will just be one more thing to worry about strapping down or falling out even.

I've seen the cooler method....Pilot did it, and the top looked like it was gonna crush through LOL!

If the truck bed isnt long enough to put the bike in with the tailgate up you might want to get the ramp omar has which is a ramp that folds up into a bed extender... Its real nice, and should keep things from flying out... I put my bike in diagonally into my bed to get teh tailgate up..

Just make sure you strap it down well, you dont want to go breaking any rear windows. ;)

Cakes206 01-11-2006 10:04 AM

Billy, how high is the tailgate off the gound? Depending on the length of the ramp and the height of the bed, you don't want a steep angle...the lowers will rub and its just a bitch...definitely get the longer, arched type ramp to help make it easier...theres always other people around at the track to give a lending hand.

carl_g 01-11-2006 12:22 PM

I am gonna draw a diagram real quick which makes it super easy to load the bike. Please stand by. :)

carl_g 01-11-2006 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I am gonna draw a diagram real quick which makes it super easy to load the bike. Please stand by. :)

For me this works best. You just need to find the right place to do it. Back your truck up to a high curb or step this will bring the ground up way higher to the tail gait and the ramp will be off the ground a lot less. If you find the right spot you can bascially walk it on or off. BTW I think taking the bike off the truck is a lot easier them putting it on.(While doing alone). Here is the pic.

MrQuickR1 01-11-2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes
Billy, how high is the tailgate off the gound?

Well as we spoke a while ago about this, like I said, the tail gate is balls high on me, and chin high on you.......:lol: :lol: LMAO!
Well here is the deal....I just bought the pair of Oxline 12"x89" arched and foldable for $175 shipped. I'm sure I could have gotten a better deal elsewhere and even perhaps WCW, but I saw it and just did it after days of researching this particular model.
Thanks Carl for the diagram.
And Jeff, I've seen those ramps that fold into a bed extender. They are nice, but just not what I had in mind.
Thanks all!