Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Bike Talk (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is your bike safe at bike nights? (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2438)

High_Revs_17 04-27-2006 02:21 PM

Is your bike safe at bike nights?

Now that the season's started with these events just keep in mind with all the confusion going on with crowds, music, and hundreds of bikes it's very simple for someone to take your bike with one simple tool, 15 seconds later and it's gone. Also bikes that are parked out of view away from the crowds can easily be loaded into a truck by a few guys in less than 30 seconds.

So use good judgement, lock it up the best you can. Disc locks, alarms with ignition cut off, chain it to a pole...whatever it takes to deter that thief to the next easiest target, cuz your bike doesn't have to be the nicest one in the lot, it's a sportbike, that means it is a target.

ronin_01r1 04-27-2006 03:22 PM

yea, that's one thing that always concerned me re: bike nights.

akomplis 04-27-2006 03:31 PM

True.....there are some real shady characters out there....

jcblitz 04-27-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
alarms with ignition cut off

I installed an alarm with a cut off and after I did I thought about it for a sec, how many bikes are actually hot wired at the time of being stolen? Usually they're just tossed in the back of a truck or a van, not started and driven away. But then again I guess the stats aren't that great on how the bike is actually stolen, being the person didn't realize it was gone until the next day.

High_Revs_17 04-27-2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcblitz
I installed an alarm with a cut off and after I did I thought about it for a sec, how many bikes are actually hot wired at the time of being stolen? Usually they're just tossed in the back of a truck or a van, not started and driven away. But then again I guess the stats aren't that great on how the bike is actually stolen, being the person didn't realize it was gone until the next day.

I think it's not so much that they're hot wired, in this example a quicker and simpler way is by means of using that "tool" to manipulate the ignition, so it's probably a good thing that you installed the alarm.

Hassmaschine 04-27-2006 08:14 PM

Your best bet is just always keep it visible... thats why I hate going to bike nights and if I do, I get there early so I can park up front / close to the tables / entrance so I can see it... usually get blocked in somewhat though, que sera....

AfricanBootyScratcher 04-28-2006 12:20 AM

I ride the '85 night"chicken" and leave the keys in it! That bike is a theft deterrent in and of it's self

High_Revs_17 04-28-2006 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanBootyScratcher
I ride the '85 night"chicken" and leave the keys in it! That bike is a theft deterrent in and of it's self

If you walk up to see it's gone then just remember I took it for a ride around the parking lot. ;)

sonny 04-28-2006 07:02 AM

never been to a bike night, but i'll be sure to bring a backpack with my cable lock.

even though i ride a 93 katana, im still paranoid.

CBRBob 04-28-2006 07:21 AM

Hmm, no one has EVER had a problem at the Stewart's in Lebanon. I do lock my bike and all but if anyone ever has a thought about anything................

ffejtable 04-28-2006 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanBootyScratcher

I was very tempted to take it for a spin tuesday when you left to make a delivery :)

tweake 04-28-2006 07:53 AM

i say watch them all like a hawk !!!!!!!!!!!!1
1 week ago some ass hat tryed to brake in to my shed to steal the bikes in sided at 1am :wow: only reason we knew about it was my Buddy's zx7r was out side next to the shed missing the back tire ( we where putting new tires on it ) and at 1 am his alarm started going off ran out there to see no 1 . so we figured it was a cat or some thing that jumped on it . well next morning i found the door to my shed all busted up :wow: they never made it in side but if his alarm hadn't gone off who knows

PitsVtec 04-28-2006 09:05 AM

It's always a problem....you must always watch....that is all!

Shelly 04-28-2006 09:42 AM

Good things to keep in mind when I do start doin bike nights...I'm probably gettin a few diff. types of locks for travel/home lockup use.

Ron-Make sure you remind me to take off the disc lock for my baby before you take it for a spin ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
If you walk up to see it's gone then just remember I took it for a ride around the parking lot. ;)

Rev 04-28-2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBRBob
Hmm, no one has EVER had a problem at the Stewart's in Lebanon. I do lock my bike and all but if anyone ever has a thought about anything................

maybe cuz they would steal a harley before they stole a crotch rocket...lmfao :drool: