Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Bike Talk (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NJ Motorcycle Inspection (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4712)

jcblitz 03-12-2007 10:33 AM

NJ Motorcycle Inspection

I've read a lot of posts in the past about what is / isn't required for a NJ and a lot of misinformation as well (not so much this site, but others). So I'm posting this in hopes that someone would do a search at least on this site for something like "NJ Inspection" or "Inspection" before assuming to know what is or isn't required to pass inspection. If you have a state sponsored page for what's required for another state, post it. Official sources only please, the internet is already filled with enough garbage.

New Jersey
Motorcycles under 50CCs are not subject to inspection.

To pass inspection, you must have:

* License plates with current decal and current registration
* Proof of insurance
* Valid motorcycle driver license
* Steering, suspension, and wheel alignment
* Handlebar grips that are not higher than your shoulders when you are seated on the motorcycle in normal driving position
* Horn
* Red rear light and reflector
* Stop light
* Head light
* Rear view mirror
* Exhaust system
* Tires
* Seat, hand holds, and foot rests
* Adequate brakes (all motorcycles made after 1974 require brakes on front and rear wheels.)

Source: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Motorcycles.htm

SPL170db 03-12-2007 10:41 AM

Last time I got an inspection done (here at the Wayne DMV on 46) I remember them checking the following:

Tail light being triggered by both front and rear brake levers

Horn

Check that the back of your helmet has some sort of reflective material (the company logo on the back sides are suffcient)

Headlight and high beam. At the one in Wayne they gave my friend shit because his bulbs had a blue coating on them even though the actual light they give off is white

That was it, but from what I understand, different DMV's are different.

CBRBob 03-12-2007 11:13 AM

2 things, the law is about the light is for light color emitted so they were wrong.
The other is you mush have 4 sq. in. of retroreflective on each SIDE of your helmet. The legal colors are white(silver), yellow(amber) or red. Having it on the back is where 99% of people will actually see it so don't be afraid to have any there as well as the sides.

Oh yes, the cut-off switch must work so they will make you start the bike and use that to shut off the engine.

Jake 03-12-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPL170db (Post 61987)
Last time I got an inspection done (here at the Wayne DMV on 46) I remember them checking the following:

Tail light being triggered by both front and rear brake levers

Horn

Check that the back of your helmet has some sort of reflective material (the company logo on the back sides are suffcient)

Headlight and high beam. At the one in Wayne they gave my friend shit because his bulbs had a blue coating on them even though the actual light they give off is white

That was it, but from what I understand, different DMV's are different.

Same here, they didn't even glance at my exhaust, tires, reflectors (which had been taken off) etc etc. I got shit about my "blue" headlights too so I never even got my last bike to pass inspection. But I don't think you can definitely give one list and expect it to cover every inspection station.

njf4i 03-12-2007 06:55 PM

Good Post jared. I made this a sticky for now. Unless joe or someone doesn't think it should be.

But for my personal experience, dealers really don't care that much when they inspect your bike, and almost all dmv's are different with there inspections. Sometimes i think that they don't know what there doing.

Greenvetter 04-11-2007 01:34 PM

They always seem to bust peoples chops at the Randolph station for a DOT approved helmet with 2 sqare inch reflective stickers on the back and sides and a clear faceshield or goggles. Wound up borrowing another guys helmet to get through once. We swapped helmets right in front of the inspector too!

Jay 04-11-2007 02:41 PM

You guys get your bikes inspected?:doh: :roflmao:

fire83tug 04-11-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenvetter (Post 64961)
They always seem to bust peoples chops at the Randolph station for a DOT approved helmet with 2 sqare inch reflective stickers on the back and sides and a clear faceshield or goggles. Wound up borrowing another guys helmet to get through once. We swapped helmets right in front of the inspector too!

Yup, me too. Although the inspector made me go down the street to switch helmets. Bastard.:roflmao:

carl_g 04-11-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 64970)
You guys get your bikes inspected?:doh: :roflmao:

When your bike looks like mine, YES!

Jay 04-11-2007 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ism409 (Post 64986)
When your bike looks like mine, YES!

how is it that different then mine?

carl_g 04-11-2007 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 64987)
how is it that different then mine?

Nice bike...
Well I guess they are both orange! :LOL:

Jay 04-11-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ism409 (Post 64988)
Nice bike...
Well I guess they are both orange! :LOL:

NICE! Love the orange color! I love KTM's period.

EvilSteve 04-11-2007 04:39 PM

Love that KTM ism. :)

carl_g 04-11-2007 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilSteve (Post 64994)
Love that KTM ism. :)

Thanks bro.. Street legal! :ride: