Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Bike Talk (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How often... (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149)

Mack 05-29-2005 01:01 PM

How often...

how often does everyone change thier oil....I was changing my every 2500 miles and the aprilia dealer actually said that I should be by the book and do it every 4500 miles......what do you guys think? I run motul semi synthetic (can't run full becuase of my slipper clutch) and just wanted to get everyones opinion on the matter.

jcblitz 05-29-2005 03:36 PM

2000 on the dot, HP4. I can't attest to if it's worth it or not because I'm not a mechanic, but it makes me sleep at night.

Cakes206 05-29-2005 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcblitz
2000 on the dot, HP4. I can't attest to if it's worth it or not because I'm not a mechanic, but it makes me sleep at night.

Every 1500mi.

+1 on the HP4...just make sure it's the one WITHOUT Moly.

Qetesh 05-29-2005 09:19 PM

I've been bad about changing the oil on my street bike at regular intervals :bigblush:

I just had it done last weekend after a few thousand street miles and 5 trackdays :bigblush: I thought Nick at Moto-Insanity was gonna kill me. Once it was dumped in to the pan I took a look at it. Pretty much a big puddle of tar :banghead: Won't let that happen again!

From now on, every 1500 miles.

Cakes206 05-29-2005 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qetesh
Won't let that happen again!

From now on, every 1500 miles.

You got that right :squid:

JasonB 05-30-2005 04:10 AM

i change mind about every 2500 to 3000 and change the filter every other oil change. I used Amsoil, have that mobil super syn in there now, but will be changing it soon.

HondaGalToo 05-30-2005 07:50 AM

I was changing mine every 3000 miles. When totaling up the miles ridden, I doubled the miles done on the track. This was with Honda HP4. I've switched over to the full synth Amsoil and I understand it can go as long as 6000-10000 miles between changes, but the filter should be swapped out at 3000. I unfortunately never get that many miles on per season, so I figure I'll be changing it once a year...in the fall at the end of the season. We'll see....
Keeping the oil clean is the most important thing you can do for your bike. :nod:

Vin 05-30-2005 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jase
i change mind about every 2500 to 3000 and change the filter every other oil change.

I do the same.

Cakes206 05-30-2005 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
I've switched over to the full synth Amsoil and I understand it can go as long as 6000-10000 miles between changes

:wtf: Thats just insane...I mean most bikes redline almost triple that of a car...and the oil is being used for the trans and clutch where as in a car its just the motor...thats crazy...

HondaGalToo 05-30-2005 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes
:wtf: Thats just insane...I mean most bikes redline almost triple that of a car...and the oil is being used for the trans and clutch where as in a car its just the motor...thats crazy...

Actually, it's not. Folks I know on another board have had their oil analyzed with that kind of mileage on it and it's protecting just fine. And, this is with motorcycle-specific full synth oil, not the car stuff. And these guys don't use just any full synth motorcycle-specific oil. Their research was done with the Amsoil or the Motul 300v. Not all synthetics are created equally. Bottom line is to do what you're comfortable with. It certainly won't hurt to change it more often. These guys will just say you're wasting some $$$, but that's it. I personally don't think I'd let mine go that long even with Motul or Amsoil because I'm anal! But, it's possible to do so, according to them.

Mack 05-30-2005 04:54 PM

shit 1500 miles....I'd be changing my oil every month....I think I would be spending more money on oil and filter then on gas....I thought I was conservative at 2500

Jay 06-02-2005 11:45 AM

2000, and i change the filter with every oil change.

Why risk with something thats so easy an inexpensive.

IMO...3 things that increase the longevity of a bike

1) Smart rider (not beating up the bike)
2) Consistant oil and filter changes (remember, if its a wet clutch, fibers do get in the oil, do you really want them in you transmission and lower end)
3) Reccomended valve adjustments (i have a 97 GSXR 600 with 23k in miles STUNTED HEAVILY, that runs like a champ, had valves adjusted twice)

Bullshark 06-05-2005 08:16 PM

2000 and I change the filter every time..too easy to neglect..

FigNewTon 06-09-2005 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
Actually, it's not. Folks I know on another board have had their oil analyzed with that kind of mileage on it and it's protecting just fine. And, this is with motorcycle-specific full synth oil, not the car stuff. And these guys don't use just any full synth motorcycle-specific oil. Their research was done with the Amsoil or the Motul 300v. Not all synthetics are created equally. Bottom line is to do what you're comfortable with. It certainly won't hurt to change it more often. These guys will just say you're wasting some $$$, but that's it. I personally don't think I'd let mine go that long even with Motul or Amsoil because I'm anal! But, it's possible to do so, according to them.

I have to agree with Cakes on this one. Check out 1000rr.net and do a search on oil. ScootR is a board member and an oil engineer. He knows most of the formulators out there and has been responsible for numerous tests regading engine oil. After speaking with him on the subject you will see that what he says regarding oil is law.

carl_g 06-09-2005 09:47 AM

the only oil I have to change is gearbox oil..every 3 track days