Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension, Tires, Handling (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Suspension advice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9494)

tommymac 11-20-2009 06:16 AM

Suspension advice

I want to get some input on what i should do with the gsxr. Withthe side job theyre adding a second shift so I iwll be pulling some major hrs the next few months (which is good since I do nothing durring the winter anyway) so I can swing doing a major upgrade. I see that ohlins has their special as does racetech/penske.

I am assuming that at the pace I ride (not very fast :lol:) and my weight that an upgrade would be in order. Now is a full ohlins set up worth it for someone at my skill level or should try something different.

Tom

ronaldo9 11-20-2009 08:09 AM

I say get some racetech front end with the springs for your weight with compression and rebound, get a shock and spring for your weight and the money you save do more track days :). If you can afford the ohlins go for it though.

Cakes206 11-20-2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 104292)
Now is a full ohlins set up worth it for someone at my skill level or should try something different.

With the deal thats going on now, very worth it.

RCM78 11-20-2009 08:32 AM

Tommy, My advice to you would be too send your forks to Penske for a spring, valve and shim kit, and get a double adjustable shock.
http://www.penskeshocks.com/Motorcycle.php

SPL170db 11-20-2009 05:49 PM

Ohlins is blowing out their old stuff to make room for the upcoming 30mm cartridge kits that will be coming out next year. In my opinion, do a cost/benefit ratio. I had been shopping around for quite sometime for suspension upgrades. I was almost at the point where I was going to setting for a revalve/resping of my OEM forks and shock. And while I do believe that would have been plenty for my speed and skill I eventually sources some used parts from WERA and for probably less than the cost of sending my forks and shocks out to get reworked I would able to find a Penske triple clicker shock and Traxxion AK-20's that I installed and got setup properly. I'm certainly no Valentino Rossi, but the difference was immediately apparent in home much more controlled and tractable the bike felt. It just goes wherever I put it and is much more composed both under heavy braking and on corner exits. Its just more reassuring.

NYCSTRIPES 11-20-2009 07:39 PM

I recently got the Penske double from Lindemann Engineering and had my forks revalved by GP Suspension. Very happy with the results. Good thing was that I didn't need new springs which saved me $100.

Lazarus 11-24-2009 02:36 PM

Traxxion Dynamics is having a blow out sale too.

ronin_01r1 11-24-2009 07:37 PM

i had my front and rear suspension redone for about $500 (labor included): front - racetec springs and new gold valves. rear - new racetec spring. it has made a world of difference. i don't know what the other sets up are going to cost you.

ronaldo9 11-25-2009 07:50 AM

Where did you find that deal I thought it was much more to get work done like that?

metricdevil 02-13-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronaldo9 (Post 104398)
Where did you find that deal I thought it was much more to get work done like that?

:whistle:

It's not as expensive as you think ...

SPL170db 02-13-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metricdevil (Post 105632)
:whistle:

It's not as expensive as you think ...

+1

Fork springs are $100
Shock spring is $100
I'm not a big face of Racetech gold valves, but $300 installed for them is certainly not that much of a stretch

$500

And that's all dependent on if you actually need stiffer/softer springs than stock as well.

:D

metricdevil 02-13-2010 04:42 PM

The RT G2R valves, built properly, work extremely well. I actually prefer them to the Ohlins 20 mil kits. I build my own stacks for them depending on the bike, the rider and the application. Of course, the Ohlins 25s with the Superbike stacks are awesome, but like everything else Ohlins, they require a pretty precise setup and only really work well within a specified range.

tommymac 02-14-2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPL170db (Post 105634)
+1

Fork springs are $100
Shock spring is $100
I'm not a big face of Racetech gold valves, but $300 installed for them is certainly not that much of a stretch

$500

And that's all dependent on if you actually need stiffer/softer springs than stock as well.

:D

At 250 pounds in shorts and a t-shirt, I think i will need stiffer springs :lol:

carl_g 02-14-2010 11:31 AM

Tom you probably need a re valve on both front and back. If you just get the correct springs that will help you acquire proper sag but the stock valving is not set up to work with springs that heavy.